We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
london
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

Hi I am spending two days in cape town with my 13 year old daughter this month after a safari - we are staying with a friend in the suburbs who will be at work. Will i need a private tour guide to see the few sights we will have time to visit or can we do the Robben island/table mountain cable car ride by ourselves? Will it be safe taking cabs? And what is the view on taking a teenage girl on a township tour? Any advice or ideas of reasonable priced guides would be appreciated - my friend found a guide but he was charging 2500 rand a day!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

Robben Island tours should be booked ahead of time. They're often full-up for last minute bookings.

Table Mountain can only be visited if no clouds are hanging over the mountain... cable car doesn't run if covered with the "tablecloth." If you wake one morning and it's clear, grab a taxi and go.

Your daughter will be safe on a township tour with a reputable tour operator.

Can't say whether 2500ZAR for day is good or bad, but what does it include?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,475 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

That 2500 rand is right on the edge of expensive. He will provide the car and maybe expect lunch and a tip. Here's the rate from one of the premier tour companies - R2500 per day, 8AM to 6PM for a private guide & vehicle. Other are even more.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

You will not need a tour guide to see the major sites in Cape Town. Using taxis will be fine. Only for a visit to the townships will you need the services of a guide. There are several companies to choose from. Here is a link to just one: hyltonross.co.za/robbenislandtownship/robben… . The township tour is R350 and they have an option of combining it with Robben Island for R575.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

I agree with macsym that you wouldn't need a guide except to go on a township tour. Tour guides are fine if yau are in a country where you don't speak the language or can't read the signs. But coming to Cape Town, especially from the UK, you will find everything so familiar that you can easily get around yourselves and you get a much better experience of a city this way than just being shown.

If you are here just two days (pity!) then I would suggest that you buy a two day ticket for the Hop-On-Hop-Off buses :

http://www.citysightseeing.co.za/

For a short stay this is the ideal way of discovering the city and the surroundings. The two routes cover all the main sights that you will want to visit - the Cable Station, Waterfront (for Robben Island), Camps Bay, the Castle, Hout Bay, Kirstenbosch Gardens ....... You can get off at any stop and stay as long as you want. If you want you can tune in to the commentary guide (there is even a Kids channel).

A ticket for two days is R200 for you and R120 for your daughter so for R320 you get IMO a better experience than for R5000 (plus lunches and tips) with a guide. You have much more freedom to discover the city. If the weather is good (which it probably will be!) you can travel on the open top which gives you a unique viewpoint on the city - Capetonians even take it sometimes just for this. You can even use the Blue Route bus for a township tour. The bus stops at Imizamo Yethu in Hout Bay and each bus is met by a tour guide who will take you on a walking tour of the township in a small group which would give both yourself and your daughter an insight into how many of the residents of Cape Town live.

You say you are staying "in the suburbs". You might be in a place which is convenient to pick up the bus, otherwise just call a taxi to take you to the nearest stop or the Waterfront terminus. You can buy your tickets on the bus.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

I'd like to know where you're staying as taking a taxi in and out of town is too expensive. You should opt for scheduled tours where the entrance fees are included.

With a private tour the entrance fees are not included. Guides do not expect meals on private tour but they are often offered comp. meals if they bring large groups to a restaurant etc.

You just cannot compare a taxi driver to a tourist guide, but also do get yourself a tour guide like lonely planet etc.

london
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

Thankyou everyone for the replies - extremely useful. I think I will go for the Hop-on Hop off buses - I always suggest those to visitors to London. And I will book Roben IUsland in advance - great tip. We are staying in Claremont

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

VAN DE CAAB -So that everyone can see - CONGRATULATIONS on being made a d/e from cpt.- YOU DESERVE IT!!!! But give me a chance to answer some questions (lol)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,611 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

(sorry about thread hijacking) but yes congrats VdC...long overdue...

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

VdC D. E. Rolls off the tongue so well.

Yeay and congrats.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

Well what can I say - unanimous congratulations from all three countries of the Super 14. Must be a first!

Thanks guys. Just celebrating with a cup of Four Roses - Vintage unknown!