We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
london
Level Contributor
67 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

Hi I am spending two days in cape town with my 13 year old daughter this month after a safari - we are staying with a friend in the suburbs who will be at work. Will i need a private tour guide to see the few sights we will have time to visit or can we do the Robben island/table mountain cable car ride by ourselves? Will it be safe taking cabs? And what is the view on taking a teenage girl on a township tour? Any advice or ideas of reasonable priced guides would be appreciated - my friend found a guide but he was charging 2500 rand a day!

Sustainable Africa
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Wine Desk
Sightseeing Tours
African Blue Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Ashanti Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

OK back to Thelma's thread. If you are staying in Claremont the nearest hoho bus stop is Kirstenbosch Gardens on the Blue Route. If you are right at the top of Claremont it might be only a 15 or 20 min walk. Alternatively call a taxi to either Kirstenbosch (go round the Gardens first and then pick up the bus) or into the city to pick up the Red Route.

My suggestion is first day, if you can see the top of the mountain from Claremont head to the city - maybe your friend will drop you off? Take the first bus to the Cable Station and go up the Mountain. You will get a good idea of the layout of the city. Come down. Pick up the bus and do Camps Bay, Waterfront and the rest of the city. Hop on and off where you want.

Second day to Kirstenbosch and do the Blue Route. If you finish at Kirstenbosch you'l be able to pick up a taxi for the short ride back to Claremont.

If the weather is cloudy on the first day go the Blue Route and keep your fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Mentioned in this post
Claremont
Claremont
Cape Town, South Africa
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,135 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

Back off topic... Your grace improves the quality of these forums and we all are the better off for it. You always were a DE, and everybody knows it. Wish I had nominated you myself.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

"Back off topic... Your grace improves the quality of these forums and we all are the better off for it."

- here here!

All we need now is a 'congrats' from Canada and peace will be restored!!

14. Re: do a mum and daughter need a tour guide in cape town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 22:19