We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
london
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

hi all

just wanted some advice on possible flights if possible.

having in the past used swiss/SAA/Qatar/Virgin airlines on my trips to SA i came across a great fare for xmas/new year 2009 using an airline called Afiriqiyah airlines

i usually fly direct to CT but if fares are too much i fly into JHB then use SAA or kulula to fly down to CT or durban

for this trip coming up the fares to CT are over £850 due to festive period,but i have found dates close to xmas costing £410 approx using Afriqiyah ( from JHB i will fly down to CT )

has anyone used or heard anything about this airline and any thoughts on what i should do?

the closes other fare is Qatar but this is a lot longer flight

this is a fantastic low fare and i am so tempted but i would like some feedback or advice before i book tickets this week.

i cans ee fares going lower then this for this period

thanks all

Mentioned in this post
Qatar
Qatar
Middle East
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

Are you sure. I can not find filghts from London to Cape Town on this airline.

Afriqiyah Airways (Arabic: الخطوط الجوية الأفريقية‎) is an airline based in Tripoli, Libya. It operates domestic services between Tripoli and Benghazi and international scheduled services to over 20 destinations in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Its main base is Tripoli International Airport.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Libya
Libya
Africa
london
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

hi macsym

the flight was for London to JHB,from there i was going to fly to CT

but i wanted to know if this airline was ok to use from london to JHB or if i should hold on for fares to drop for london to CT

at the moment flight to JHB is as below:

ive searched using both kayak and travelsupermaket.com and they bring this up

eg

22/12 - 05/01

cost £400-410 ( £410 was on opodo )

whereas its over £850 for flight to CT

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

Personally as I have never heard about this airlineI would be a bit nervous about using it, but you can read some reviews on this web page: www.airlinequality.com/Forum/afriqiyah.htm

london
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

thanks

i felt it was too good to be true

lol

all flights at this time of yr are so expensive so a flight to JHB then internal to CT wuoldve been ok by me

cant really afford to go for £850+ with other airlines

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

See my response on Afriqiyah Airlines in response to your other post.

PS - Just a tip not to make the same post multiple times - just confuses responders!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
860 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

I can only tell you that friends of mine bought a similar fare with a new airline eight months in advance of christmas by which time the airline had gone bankrupt and they had no money back and had to purchase new fares last minute which cost a fortune.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

Magsmags: If you can change your departure date by 1 day (i.e. dept 23 Dec) and return either the 5th or 7th Jan then Turkish Airlines currently have flights from £691.

http://www.thy.com/en-INT/index.aspx

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

The £691 is LON - CPT - (actually Stanstead). LHR - CPT is £703

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

maqsmaqs - i wouldnt go with "Afriqiyah" - i am sure if they flew into jnb or cpt we would all know about it. Look at Klm as well. 850 pds is the norm during the Xmas periods flying to cape town though. Check out Virgin because they fly directly into Cape Town from October till February. Macsym mentioned Turkish Air - theyre a good airline and if you dont mind the extra flying time theyre worthwhile. You could even do a stop in Istanbul en route.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
10. Re: advice on flights to CT/JHB - festive period

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 05:29