We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

We're visiting Cape Town in October, and won't have a car for the first couple of days, so want to make the most of the hop-on hop-off buses. I've noticed that the blue route stops at Imisamu Yethu, but the link to its site isn't too helpful. Can you just turn up at any time to see the project? If so, do you also get to see the existing township which is being replaced by the newer housing? We don't want to "hop off" the bus to find nothing to do as there is a long wait for the next one. Also, if it's generally thought to be voyeuristic and not in the best interests of the residents, we'd rather not intrude.

Thanks,

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

Have a look at www.niallmellon.org for some useful information and www.suedafrika/imizamuyethu/ for township tour details

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

Unfortunately I can't help with the answer as I was just about to post the exact same question!

My main concern was whether the township tour was actually linked with the HOHO buss in any way, as like the OP it doesn't seem clear whether there is a guide there to meet every bus and if they time the ending of the tour to fit in with the next bus (especially as in August I think the last bus leaves the stop at 16:40) so anyone with any experience of this or thoughts would be appreciated?

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

I am not aware of any direct link between the HOHO bus and a township tour but I imagine there would be some unofficial tours offered to those who get off the bus. I suggest it would be a better idea to organise a tour through accredited tour guides. I am sure Capensis who posts here regularly would have a much better knowledge of this than me.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

sorry for the long delay between posts. I'm on a national tour of the country again.

There is a connection. One of the guides is called Africa. You may call my friend Shaun from City Sightseeing at +27215116000 during office hours..

Where you hop off there is also a Tea Bag Project which employs people from the townships ie. they use old tea bags to create art

Glasgow
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

Fab thanks for your help

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

I would highly recommend you visit the Original T bag Company at Kronendal, Hout Bay. A tour of the factory is most interesting and the items they produce make lovely gifts. We always visit the T bag Company when in Hout Bay and there are always new products added to the already substantial range. Well worth a visit.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

Hi

No-one seems to have answered your basic original question. If you are on the HOHO Bus (Blue Route). The guide will put out an announcement on the way to Hout Bay asking how many people would be interested in taking the tour. They will then phone ahead to the tour guide in IY how many (if any) people want to go on the tour. You will be met at the bus stop and taken around the township. I know some of the guys involved (Capensis mentions Afrika) and they will make sure you have an interesting and informative tour of different aspects of life in South Africa today. To see a bit more see:

http://www.suedafrika.net/imizamoyethu/

You refer to a "project". I am not sure if you are aware that IY is a community of around 18,000 people (around one third of Hout Bay's population), the majority have come to Cape Town to find work, either from the Eastern Cape or from other countries in Africa - there are significant groups of Zimbabweans, Malawians and Congolese. As Belfast and others have pointed out IY was the original site of the work of the Neil Mellon foundation helping to provide new housing in disadvantaged communities. This has been a tremendous help, as the Cape Town Municipality is really overstretched in providing housing. The population of Cape Town is growing much faster than any house building programme can cope with - an estimated population growth of nearly one million people in the past ten years.

The Neil Mellon Trust have now moved on to other township areas around the Western Cape and now in Johannesburg area. But the city continues to build houses in IY. But unfortunately the shack part of the township is not "being replaced" as new shacks are being put up faster than new houses.

That said the residents of IY are a vibrant and significant part of Hout Bay - a unique area of Cape Town, as it has approximately equal population distribution of the three major South African communities, Black African, Coloured and White. IMO this is one reason why it is one of the very best areas to live in Cape Town (I do!) and also to visit while you are here. It is only "voyeuristic" if that is the way you approach it!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

Van De Kaap...

would you know if and how the Catholic church and Hout Bay christian fellowship (of which i was a member)etc are still involved with projects in that area and how. I heard that Habitat for Humanity are also involved in a big way.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

Sorry for misspelling your name, Van De Caab

uk
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Imizamo Yethu - does anyone have any more info?

Thanks for all your advice, especially re the HOHO bus from Van de Caab.