We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

Hi,

We are planning on doing the flower region this september. We will be driving to Clanswilliam from cape town. Spending the day in clanswilliam and then to lamberts bay in the late afternoon (to visit birds island). Then the next day, drive the coastal route to Elandsbaai all the way to Langebaan.

We dont want to stay in Clanswilliam to save time. It might make sense for us to stay in Lamberts bay.

I have read mixed reviews on Lamberts bay, but we are thinking of staying there for one night to save time.

- What would be a good place to stay in Lamberts bay.

- We were thinking of staying at Lamberts Bay Hotel. Has anyone stayed there?

- Also, is lamberts bay a safe?

Thanks in advance.

- Mya

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,193 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

When in September are you planning to go. The Flower season is pretty early this year and in many places may well be over even early in September.

Look at a very recent post on here :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312641-i12712-k29…

Also for almost daily updates on the flower situation see:

http://south-north.co.za/flowers/

Lamberts Bay is a strange resort. In the peak season it seems to be filled with people from Joburg looking for the cheapest seaside holiday. Out of season it is pretty quiet.

Don't know the LB hotel but the town is a perfectly safe place.

I prefer to stay in Clanwilliam (40 mins from LB). Our favourite place there is Ndedema Lodge a lovely Guest House with very nice people.

www.portfoliocollection.com/go/Ndedema-Lodge/

Eat at Reinholds Restaurant 10 mins walk into town - excellent food and service.

London England
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

Several years ago we did a similiar trip and stayed in Lamberts Bay - however we were nearly driven out by the fish meal factory near to the Hotel - I suggest Clan William

Piet

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

We are planning on going to Clanswilliam, Lamberts bay and Nieuwoudtville from 6th - 8th sept. If you are saying that the flower season is early this year - is it even worth for us to go there then?

The only reason why were going there was to see the flowers.

Thanks,

Mya

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

It is a route which i used to do with almost every flower season.

Lamberts Bay is not the place to stay unless you have an arrangement with one of the local farmers to enter onto his property to see flowers. Clanwilliam is a better choice. You could even push on to Vanrynsdorp...easily.

Additional information:

We used to travel from Cape Town via the west coast national park, Laaiplek(for the birds) etc. and then past the mission stations of Goedverwacht, Moravia and Wittewater. From there past Piketberg and to Clanwilliam.....ALL IN ONE DAY

The following day would be via the "succulants nursery" in Vanrynsdorp and then on to either Springbok or onto the platue to Niuewoudville for the Geophite plants.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

wow Capensis .. that is a lot of driving for us. The thing is this is going to be our first time right hand side driving (we are from the US) .. and the flower region is the first thing we are doing once we get to SA .. so i think we might need a little more time than expected ..

here is what we were thinking

Day 1

8AM - Start driving from cape town to Citrusdal

11AM

Hex river Road

Turn left at first 4-way stop in town, end of main road eventually becomes a dirt road to Clanwilliam (58km). Some excellent flowers

12AM - Ramskop Wild Flower Garden

1PM - drive to Niewoudtville

Take the ofifants valley road

2PM

Suttridge Guest Farm Vanrhynsdorp

Spend time with Niewoudtville

Day 2

(we can do 3-4 of the below places. Which ones would you recommend? I know you spoke high of Matjiesfontein .. so that one we are doin for sure..)

8AM

Aloe forest

9AM

Nieuwoudtville Waterfall Reserve

11AM

Matjiesfontein

Hantam Botanical Garden

4PM

drive back to clanswilliam (Take the ofifants valley road)

spend night in clanswilliam

Day 3

6 AM - drive to lamberts bay to see bird island

9 AM - leave Lamberts Bay go back on the road to Clanwilliam, then (after about 30km) take a turn to the right to Leipoldtville which will take you along the coast on a tarred road to Elands Bay. The coast to Elandsbaai (a large wetland area with pelicans, flamingoes and other birds on the estuary).

drive to Langebaan

1PM - West Coast National Park

3 PM - Darling (optional, if we have time)

night in cape town

how does this sound?

Thanks,

Mya

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

I would spend another day at Nieuwoudtville. It's a long drive back to Clanwilliam. You may want to stay over at Vanrynsdorp instead.

Nieuwoudtville:

You may want to visit the farm of Mr. Mcgregor...who is a friend of Sir Richard Attenborough....if it's still open to the public. You should get at least one guided tour/overview of the area from someone like Mr. Mcgregor otherwise i think it would be a waste of time.

Get advice from the local info office before you go all the way. They will also have the number for Matjiesfontein.

If your a real enthusiast you should also visit OORLOGSKLOOF. I'VE TOURED THAT AREA WITH A GROUP OF FRENCH BOTANIST AND THAT WAS THE AREA THEY RAVED ABOUT THE MOST.

7. Re: Spending the night in Lamberts Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2010, 06:17