We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

Hello,

After a year of planning we are headed to SA in four weeks.

It seems I am starting to see more and more posts related to crime. I had thought common sense would prevail. (don't walk in secluded areas at night, don't wear flasy jewelry etc.) However, I am reading a fair amount about mid-day crimes in public places. We have booked a rental car to drive to the Cape of Good hope. I know this is fairly seculuded area. Is this a good or a sketchy idea? Are we better off hiring a driver?

We have also reserved a car for two days in the winelands. I have been assuming this is very safe? Am I correct? Thank you!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

Shelle

Driving yourself to the Cape is no problem at all, and the best way by far of seeing the area. The winelands ditto.

The only concern you should have is remembering to stay on the correct side of the road!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

I'm an American (grew up in Augusta, in fact) living several months each year in the Western Cape - and can tell you that the activities you describe don't include anything or anywhere dangerous. The Cape of Good Hope isn't really secluded. Wide open country, lots of visitors around all the time. The times I have been there, the threat was from the baboons around the parking area..!.. hoping to snatch something to eat from unwary visitors. The Winelands? nothing to fear there, either.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

The drive around the Cape of Good Hope is one of the best in the world.

Whales in False Bay, Chapman's Peak drive; the Cape, etc, etc.

The winelands are the most scenic vineyards anywhere.

Don't let stories about crime spook you. Take precautions, and enjoy yourself!

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

We went to the Cape last March and are planning to go again this November. At no time did we ever feel threatened and driving was in fact a pleasure (except on the Cape Town motorways which were always busy). Like the other contributor the only problem are the baboons trying to grab food at the Cape, though there are guards to keep them away. We also spent time in the Winelands and walked around Paarl and the other towns as if we were at home, even in the dark.

The usual rules prevail, whether you are in SA, USA or London - just don't flash money/jewellery around.

Have a great trip - a wonderful experience.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

Hi Shelle,

I agree with the previous posters.

It is an easy and safe trip.

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

We came back yesterday after a fantastic trip to South Africa. Driving a piece of cake and it was a 100% must to drive to Cape of Good Hope. We spent most of the day there - driving and wandering. We saw a family of Baboons about 5-8 miles before we entered the "park" and we pulled over, got out and took loads of photos. whereas tour buses just rode on by...

Middlesbrough
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

Oh and lock your car doors if you pull over to see Baboons... One couple we saw didn't and within 2 mins they had a Baboon in their front seat....

8. Re: Self Drive Cape of Good Hope-Are we crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 06:21