We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
179 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

Hello,

We are planning on spending one whole day in search of spring flowers. Any comments on where all to visit/roads to take/must see spots?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
179 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

Btw.. month of visit is mid Sept

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

There is really only one area in the WCNP which is the Postberg reserve at the end of peninsula on the ocean side of the lagoon. Just follow the signs from the entrance - about 20mins drive to the reserve.

We were in Postberg a week ago and the annual flowers were getting close to being at their peak. It has just started a few days of rain here in Cape Town so the next sunny spell - forecast next weekend will probably be the absolute peak. So two or even three weeks from now should still be OK. Then mid Septemeber is the best time for the small (often tiny) bulbous flowers which bloom later. The best places for these are the 4 or 5 smaller reserves (sometimes just a single field) that have been left purposefully uncultivated for at least 100 years.

One of the best is Tinie Versfeld on the R315 from the coast to Darling - opposite the new Wind-Farm! The flowers here were only just starting last week so mid September should be a peak.

www.darlingwildflowers.co.za/reserves.htm

Darling holds a Wild Flower festival every year - this year from Sept 18-20. This is when the bulbs are at their height but often a bit late for the coastal annuals.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

Just as a matter of interest Van de C have you ever stayed at Kersefontein whilst in the area - I feel sure you have especially as I notice from another post that you are a great fan of the Greenwood Guide as I am - Kersefontein is rarely mentioned in TA but for me is one of the very special places in SA. It's one of the few original cape dutch farms left with all the original furniture intact and restored where dinner is served by the very individual host Julian Melck who will often give a piano recital afterwards - we never miss staying there each time we are in SA

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

FP

No - and until today had never even read the Greenwood entry. I suppose it's too close to Cape Town for us to stay - but then we often stay in Stellenbosch!

Sounds wonderful and it looks like a lovely alternative in the area to Paternoster which is starting to get a bit overdeveloped with faux fishermen's cottages.

Thank's for the post - I'm sure we will work out how to fit it in sometime!

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

Hi,

We will be in Cape Town early October. According to our guide, this is still a good time to go see the spring blooms. In your opinion, is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

Hello chelten

Welcome to the TA forums. The answer is really no! The big displays of annuals are normally finished by then although some of the later flowering species may still be around. In the reserves near Darling there will still be lots of the bulbous plants in bloom (see earlier post) and, on the mountains, bulbs such as Watsonias can give lovely patches of purple and white seen from below. But the classic views of fields of flowers are gone by then.

Better to concentrate your flower viewing in the Mountain Fynbos areas where proteas and ericas will be in bloom and, of course in Kirstenbosch Gardens where many different species of Cape Flora are in bloom throughout the year.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

Hi Chelten,

When it comes to spring I just love taking a drive to the West Coast to go and have a look at the flowers and going to the The Darling Flower show.

It is actually hard to say that there will be flowers, as it depends on the amount of Rain there is or should I say weather permitting. The flower season actually runs from July – October , There might be flowers up until early October, There will be flowers in Darling as they host the Darling flower show each year , the West coast is very popular this time of the year for its flower season and its very beautiful as well, I suggest contact Darling tourism +27 22 492 3361 email : info@darlingtourism.co.za, and the Darling wildflower society email darlingwfs@westc.co.za.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

Darling Flower show this year is Sept 18-20 and to me this normally signals the "start of the end" of the season!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

Chelten, the Darling flower show does take place from 18 - 20 September 2009.

10. Re: West Coast National Park / Spring Blooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 05:17