We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
salsameisje
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn and what scenic route can I take and where to stop for a lunch?

Thank you!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

Hi, recommended route is Hermanus to Swellendam, then over the Tradouxs Pass to Barrydale, then on through Ladismith (stopping at Ronnies Sex Shop for a refreshment) then Calitzdorp then Oudtshoorn. Around 3.5 hrs without stop. Lunch either in Barrydale at the Country Pumpkin, or drive through to OUdtshoorn and eat there. Enjoy & safe travels!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,095 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

Just to clarify. Ronnie's Sex Shop - which, sadly, has very little sex for sale ;-) - is a long way before Ladismith. About 20km after Barrydale. But you have to stop to join the worldwide community who have!

Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

VDC

I am going through Barrydale and noticed "Ronnies Sex Shop" on Google Earth. I just assumed it was a greasy smut pit of some sort.

You say it has little to do with "sex"...why the bizarre name and what is in the store?. If every one else stops there i may as well satisfy my curiosity.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,095 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

It is basically a bar, shop and a restaurant miles from anywhere in the arid Little Karoo. Actually looks like something out of a 1960's road movie! It is also a lot used as a Bikers Stop.

The eponymous Ronnie started it up and for years it was called Ronnies Shop. I think that a few customers were discussing over a few beers one night how Ronnie could get more business. Someone probably said "Sex Sells" and Ronnies Sex Shop was born. The comment was so obviously right that it is now an international cult stopover. Everybody wants to tell their maiden aunt - or their mum- back home that they stopped at Ronnies Sex Shop - LOL!

salsameisje
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

Wauw, what a great story, hahaha.

We will definatly stop at the sex shop.

And thanks for the route!

Kind regards Maria

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

It is not like me to disagree with Worsie but I do feel 3.5 hours for the drive from Hermanus to Oudtshoorn is a bit optimistic along the route she suggests which IMO is the preferable one. From Hermanus along the coast to Stanford and then through the Overberg via the R326 until you reach the N2, turn right via Riviersonderend (don't have lunch at the petrol station !!) onto Swellendam - so far at least 90 minutes. Cut up through Tradauws Pass to Barrydale at least 30 minutes. From Barrydale to Oudtshoorn at least 120 minutes so that is four hours fairly fast driving with no stops.

There are two alternative routes which might actually be a bit quicker (but only a bit) - for both go to Swellendam as before but drive along the fast N2 to Mossel Bay - 80 minutes last week, then cut up through Robinsons Pass (the R329) to Oudtshoorn about an hour or carry on to George and then cut up the Outeniqua Pass to Oudtshoorn - also about an hour - so neither saves you much time and are not as scenic although both passes are spectacular over the mountain type passes, whereas Tradauws is a through the mountains type pass with steep cliffs.

As for Ronnies Sex Shop, VdC has given you the story - we called in last week and there is now a new cafe operation, the Roadkill Cafe (we didn't ask for details of how it got the name !), which we thought slightly takes away from the uniqueness of the bar. Be prepared to leave either your cap or your bra behind !

salsameisje
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

Hi Belfast Taxman,

Thanks for your reply. As we have a daughter from 10 year old, we would like to make some scenery stops on the way and ofcourse we don't want to miss Ronny's sex shop. I don't mind that the drive will be a bit longer that way, but we don't want to be in the car non stop.

So which of the routes you gave me would you advise to me?

Regards Maria

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

The R62 is the best

salsameisje
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

Hi Taxman,

Wich of the routes you've stated is the R62? Can't find that one. I'm not blond though, hahaha.....

Regards Maria

salsameisje
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How long is the drive from Hermanus to Oudshoorn?

Hi Worsie76,

Could you explain the route over the tradoux pass from Hermanus to Oudtshoorn. If I look at the maps I can go different ways.....

Thanx!