We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another weather question...sorry

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
ct
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Another weather question...sorry

I'm getting very mixed information about what to expect in SA in December! My friend (who lives in Capetown and whom I'll be visiting)and some "experts" on the various travel boards are warning me it will likely be VERY hot, especially on our road trip to Addo.

Accomodations with air conditioning are generally more expensive along the routes of our travel (and in Addo) but I've been thinking it should still be a priority because of the warning about how hot it will likely be.

But other posts, and a few historical weather sites I'm seeing, say that in December, Capetown averages in the high 70s F (25C) and maybe a few degrees hotter in the mountains. I've been imagining days in the 90s (33C) and nights not a lot cooler.

I know, of course that weather is variable and there can always be a heat wave or a cold spell but can locals chime in here and tell me if you recommend making air-con a priority for our accomodations in Oudtshoorn, Addo an Knysna in the second week of December? Thanks!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another weather question...sorry

I personally do not think air conditioning is necessary in Cape Town - December is not usually unbearably hot and it is not humid. However, Oudtshoorn is another matter it will be much hotter there!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another weather question...sorry

South Africans - and particularly Capetonians like to exagerate a bit! December is not the hottest month (like June in the US). Yes there are ocasional days into the high 30s in December but mostly it is lovely, mid to upper 20s (high 70s low 80sF). Nights are mid teens (mid 50s - 60sF). There is never any humidity. As macsym says very few people in Cape Town have Aircon - just open the window or door into the garden - a lot cheaper!

As macsym says the interior of the Cape around Oudtshoorn will be a lot hotter maybe touch 40C (100F). Accommodation there will normally have Aircon (I think). The Addo chalets have aircon - some of the more basic accommodation does not. I have been in Addo in January and we did switch on the Aircon at night - maybe just because it was there!

The only thing to say is that driving across the Little Karoo just make sure your car has Aircon. Some basic hire cars do not!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another weather question...sorry

I was in the Cape last December / beginning Jan for 4 weeks. Coldest temperature 9 degrees coming over pass into George from Oudtshoorn and 46 degrees in the Cederberg mountain. I was vey upset about the 9 deg!! We also had a few days of heavy rain. No air con needed for Knysna IMO, but maybe Oudtshoorn. I prefer to open the windows and doors to let in some wonderful fresh south african air! Just remember to pack a couple of jumpers too and an umbrella!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another weather question...sorry

I dont think airconditioning is necessary as the temperature in SA tends to drop at night, except for KwaZulu Natal and the Northern Cape.

At the hottest time of the day (on those days that are hot), you will probably be out and about and not at your accommodation.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Another weather question...sorry

Having aircon. means that you don't need to keep the window open and stand the chance of being attacked by mosquito's at night...

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another weather question...sorry

Hi Capensis

I'm not talking about Kruger, but in Cape Town a can of Peaceful Sleep mozzie repellent is a lot cheaper than your electricty bill for Aircon on every night!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another weather question...sorry

Aircon for your accomodation in Oudtshoorn for 2nd week in December....an absolute must, in my opinion!

ct
Level Contributor
53 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another weather question...sorry

Thanks everyone. We'll go for the air conditioning for our stop in Oudtshoorn and we've rented a rondavel for 2 nights in Addo, which also has air conditioning. I think we'll skip the air conditioning in Knysna (the place I'd like to stay is on the lagoon and the air conditioned rooms are quite a bit more expensive than the non and it seems that folks are saying that by evening, it should be cooler (although it sounds like mosquitoes might be an issue?)

In Capetown, I'm staying at my friend's house in Muizenberg, right near the beach. Hopefully it'll be as temperate as folks are predicting!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another weather question...sorry

"it seems that folks are saying that by evening, it should be cooler"....yes it does become a lot cooler in the evenings. We stay in Plett during the Xmas holidays which is only approx 30km from Knysna and todate we have actually end up wearing a light jersey in the evenings as it can get a bit chilly. In the last 5 years we have rarely encountered an evening which was swelteringly hot, which is one of the reasons we love this area in December/January.

10. Re: Another weather question...sorry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2010, 05:18