We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

We're arriving on Wednesday morning after a two night flight so aren't expecting to be in top form on Wednesday evening!!! Have two nights to eat out ( sad face here) we're thinking of Baia for one night and I'm wondering if there is a good local restaurant in the Tamberskloof area. We're staying at An African Villa.. we love food of any kind but would prefer to eat local, regional while in Cape Town. We've got a lunch booked at Cuvee for Thursday and a dinner at La Colombe on our last night, Friday .. so I know it's late for this and I worry about starting a restaurant debate BUT any suggestions for a good local eatery that won't mind if we come early... also any other options besides Baia?

I should mention that we'd like to stay in the price range of about 180 rand per person and are looking for a place that's not too formal as I think Cuvee and la Colombe will fill that part of the trip :)

Thanks for all the help so far..we have our one day outing sorted and I'll do a trip report on return. Really getting excited about seeing your part of the worls.. we've been having an amazing summer /fall here so hope the good weather follows us!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

Opal Lounge is currently getting rave reviews - also not far are Millers Thumb, Jardine, Societi Bistro and Limoncello

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,171 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

Baia will definitely not fit at R180pp - more than twice that incl wine. I would go with Belfast - definitely Opal Lounge (a much better experience than Baia) and then either Societi Bistro - great bistro food and they have one of the best value wine lists in Cape Town - cheaper than BYO! Or if the 15 min walk to here is too far then Millers Thumb. Societi Bistro and Millers Thumb should be Ok before 7pm. Opal Lounge is better after 7.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

My vote would be for Millers Thumb - it best fits your requirements for that 'local, early' place close to your accomm.

Instead of Baia, consider Bizerca Bistro, Jardine, Carne, 95 Keerom - all much more satisfying (IMO)

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

Thank you for the quick replies! Baia is definietly off the list.. had read review recently here of Opal Lounge and then had forgotten it..so once again you've come through.. with too many to chose from and not enough time!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

After your long flight I think Millers Thumb is the answer. Nice homely atmosphere , cosy, good food and well within your R180 budget even with a bottle of wine and 2 courses.

I go for their fish or calamari and hubby likes their steak. Their Estpetada is very popular. Best to book though - they might be full but i guess youre almost on the flight.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

Not on plane yet! (Thankfully) still some items to pick up.. will look at making reservation via email.. have had excellent response re: Cuvee and La Colombe and also tour at Hartenberg but have been trying to make a reservation in Windhoek for Gathemann and no response to 2 emails...any ideas about what to do??.. it will be a Sat night and I actually read about them on this forum.. I know it's a different country and all but maybe someone who has eaten there can give me a hint as to how to get a reservation. I thought about asking our hotel in Windhoek to make one.. is this done over there? Thanks again for all help.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,171 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

Gathemanns is IMO one of the best restaurants in Windhoek itself. Either for dinner or for lunch out on the balcony overlooking the park in the city centre. Phone number is +264 61 223853

Also look at Leos in the Heinitzburg Hotel.

Certianly no problrm in getting your hotel to book you a table.

Manchester
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

Millers Thumb. Its a no-brainer.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,171 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

Personally I would choose Societi Bistro, 95 Keerom or Carne over Millers Thumb - all similar prices. However Millers Thumb has the advantage of being closer to An African Villa.

Selwyn Davidowitz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant in Tamberskloof area

Traveller47,

Agree with jubilee252 when he says "no brainer - Go to Millers Thumb". Its amongst the closest places for you to visit if you are staying at An African Villa. (great choice of place to stay) Ask the management at African Villa where they suggest you go and you can be sure they will tell you Millers Thumb. The food at MT is good and remains great value for money. (Definitely within your R180/person budget) The staff are excellent, sincere and friendly. What is most important is that you simply HAVE TO PRE-BOOK and there is a very good reason for this viz the locals pack out the place only because they know all of the above.

Enjoy our city when you visit us.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Very proudly part of the wonderful rainbow nation of South Africa