We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Point

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Cambridge UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Green Point

We are staying at the Cape Royale Hotel in Green Point for four nights next month. I have read that is where the new stadium is being constructed for the world cup - does anyone know if the construction would affect our stay at the hotel? Also I'm reading mixed reports about the area. It wouldn't be too late to change our arrangements if we would be better staying somewhere else like Clifton....

Grateful for views!

Thanks,

Louise

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
252 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green Point

I have just returned and while we were there we went to Green Point to look over the stadium which I believed to be complete. This is not the case as the infrastructure construction around the stadium is still in full flow and personally I would relocate if I were you .

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,065 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Green Point

On the other hand there is so much that you do day and night in and around Green Point. One of the vibrant areas of the city. Close to both the central disrict and the waterfront.

Clifton has absolutely nothing except nice beaches. You park on a main road and go down steps to the beaches. There are no cafes, restaurants, bars shops. The beaches are great bat the weekends but too cold in October for swimming.

You do need to consider that October is early summer. You might mostly get warm sunny days but you may still get cold, dull and rain. Staying somewhere with nothing but a beach may not then be a good idea.

Sure there is construction. There is all over South Africa because of the World Cup. The Stadium has been under serious construction since long before the Cape Royale opened and yet it still getting excellent (nearly all 5-star) reviews here on TA right up to this week. If you're booked there stay there. You will have a great holiday.

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green Point

The construction of the Stadium will not adversely affect your stay at the Cape Royale. All the cranes have now been dismantled. Currently the sidewalks/pavements are being worked on - those by the CR have been completed and much of the rest will probably be completed by next month.

There is roadwork disruption all around Cape Town - it is not a reason to re-locate your hotel. In good wether and particularly at weekends, the road through Clifton can be a traffic nightmare! The Cape Royale is well located.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green Point

Keep your reservation at the Cape Royal? Absolutely!

It really is a beautiful hotel and I personally see no reason at all why the construction works should disrupt your stay. The Cape Royal is well located with plenty of places within walking distance.

Selwyn Davidowitz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green Point

Louise,

I wholeheartedly agree with all who have advised you not to change your booking.

I highly doubt that the building woth that is taking place around the stadium will affect your stay but what is more important is that the hotel is a very grand and nice place to stay. I have seen the rooms at the establishment and they are ultra plush and very accommodating

Your location will be an excellent one as you will be near to the Waterfront, city centre and the very popular Green Point deli area where there always is much local activity. Furthermore if you enjoy a good steak then the 1800 restaurant below the hotel is a fabulous place for this type of meal while the Miss K coffee shop next to the hotel is a great place to simply chill and hang out.

Visitors of mine (British Lions supporters) stayed at the Mont Royale 2 months ago and they could not stop raving about the place.

Generally I would recommend a guesthouse or an apartment as a place of stay to visitors to our shores however relative to all of the above and with you already booked into the hotel, I do believe the hotel is worthy of a great place to stay when visiting our city hence I suggest you do not change your booking.

Hope you enjoy Cape Town to the full.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Very proudly part of the wonderful rainbow nation of South Africa

South Africa
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Green Point

the building of the stadium is not a problem, but they upgrading the roads and that can be disturbing. But he view from the hotel makes up for it. The pool terrace on the roof is fantastic. The area is fun, some nice restaurants, don't miss a visit to Mano's, and some good nightclubs

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Green Point

Hi Louise - agree with everyone here - dont change your booking. You cannot hear anything from the stadium. I work near the stadium and have never heard a peep in all the time they have been constructing it. It wont affect you at all. Yes there is road construction around the hotel but most of Cape Town is going through that at the moment and it is a nightmare. It wont affect your stay though. They dont work at night and i am sure you will be out and about during the day.It is a very upmarket hotel with good security - there are no hotels in Clifton - Camps Bay yes but i wouldnt change it at this stage - not necessary.

8. Re: Green Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 05:17