We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Table Mountain

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
370 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Table Mountain

Hello all,

Can one drive to the top of Table Mountain or is the cable car the only option to go to the top? I have booked a van for CT.

We just booked Robben Island for R180 and the charge for the cable car to Table Mnt is R170 - does that seem about right?

Please let me know

thx in advance

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Table Mountain

No, you can't drive up there. You either take a cable car or you hike. I don't remember the exact prices, but that sounds about right.

South Africa
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Table Mountain

The prices are correct. You can always walk to the top of Table Mountain.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Table Mountain

The return fare on the cable car is currently R160.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
873 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Table Mountain

When I went today around 9AM the queue wasn't bad. HOWEVER, when I returned, (around 1015AM) the wait to purchase a ticket (yes, 160Rand and they do accept credit cards) was TREMENDOUS!!

I've heard that buying the ticket online allows you to bypass the queue to buy a ticket, which could save an hour or more!

Also, if Table Mountain is high on your list (no pun intended), you might be well advised to visit it at your first opportunity as the cable car was not running the first two days I was here (Wed/Thu) due to high winds, although I understand you can still ascend by foot. I've also read that the cable closes fairly frequently due to high winds.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Table Mountain

I have just looked at their website and you can buy online tickets for R160.00 + R10.00 non-refundable processing fee.

'Online tickets are valid for 7 days from selected date of use. Within the 7 day period the online ticket can be refunded (less R10 processing fee), or extended for a further 3 weeks. Should an extension be chosen, the online buyer will forego the option of a refund'

We are only in Cape Town for 3 days so i think that this option is probably the one we will take.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Table Mountain

I emailed the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Co who could not have been more helpful and yes buying your ticket online means you can avoid the queues! If you don't use it due to bad weather or other plans then you can email them for a refund minus the non refundable 10 rand.

7. Re: Drive to Table Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2010, 05:16