We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
311 reviews
Save Topic
Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

We are driving from Capetown on a Wednesday to stay at the Eendrach hotel overnight, and would like to visit a winery in the afternoon that does not involve us having to drive - maybe even go there for lunch or dinner, but as long as we can walk back to/from the centre of town that'd be perfect - does anyone have any suggestions? If there are taxis readily available in Stellenbosch then we'd use those.

And if anyone's got any dinner recommendations for Stellenbosch they'd be welcome too... we like good food and wines, nice atmosphere, maybe al fresco, not worried about the cost really... thanks in advance

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

There are a number of wineries in the town of Stellenbosch for instance Flagstone has a new tasting centre in Strand Street and Dalla Cia's big distillery is another possibility.

Have a look at www.wineroute.co.za

for lots more possibilities.

In Stellenbosch itself, Cafe Dijon looks nice and has been getting a lot of praise on this forum recently. There are lots of great restaurants a short taxi away - my favourite would have to be Rust en Vrede (book in advance)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

I think the best winery visit in Stellenbosch itself is the Begkelder which is the main cellering and production facility for Fleur du Cap Wines. The do a wonderful cellar tour here and then wine tasting of most of the Fleur du Cap range.

http://www.bergkelder.co.za/index2.html

Bergkelder is close to Stellenbosch Station and is an easy (and historic)15mins walk from the Eendracht Hotel down Dorp Street. There is no restaurant but in Stellenbosch I would very much go along with Belfast's recommendation of Cafe Dijon :

http://www.cafedijon.co.za/flash.html

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

Cafe Dijon would be for lunch coupled to a walk to the Bergkelder.

If you want to stay in Town for Dinner then my other choice would be the Big Easy - owned by Ernie Els. Otherwise a lot of choices within a 10-15 mins taxi ride - Rust en Vrede, Terroir, Bodega .......

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

Thanks for this - I reckon Cafe Dijon looks perfect as does the winery suggestion.

V. N. de Gaia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

I´m Portuguese and my brother lives in Stellenbosch. I was there four times. Endracht is a very nice Guest House, specialy the highst room, that have a fantastic view for the mountains. You can dinner in the Terroir, the best restaurant in western cape. And lunch in Winus near Endracht. There is another place very nice to take a tea or even luch name’s Green Gate and you can go walking to Green Gate or Winus.

For me one of the best wineries is Waterford. You can taste wine and chocolate. Waterford is between Stellenbosch and Sumerset West. You have also Spier that is very very nice. You can taste, and you have a fantastic Restaurant name’s Moyo with music, a nice gift shop and a park with some animals. This is nice to go lunch on Saturday or Sunday. Waterford and Spier you must go by car. You have Lanzerac Hotel in Stellenbosch, near Endracht that has also a winnery. If it is the right week you have the fantastic Stellenbosch Fresh Goods Market on suturday morning.

After Stellenbosch you must go to Franchhoek. It is very very nice with fantastic wineries.

Enjoy because you are in one of the best blaces in world!!

Regards

Mafalda Magalhães

mafaldamagalhaes@miltemas.com

South Africa
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

I wouldn't get too excited about Cafe Dijon. I'm a stellenbosch local and that would be one of the last places I'd reccomend. Definately the best would be Terroir. You cannot skip it out, Its really fantastic! Food and service and if the weather;s nice you can dine outside. even for dinner. Rust en Vrede is excellent too. Much more sophisticated however. Terroir is laid back fine dining whilst RV is fine dining supreme. Bodega as mentioned in another post is nice too. And Overture is probably the most beautuful restaurant in the area. Stunning stunning view! 96 Winery road on the way to somerset west is good for casual local/traditional food. Hope that helps.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

i would disagree about Cafe Dijon. Have eaten there for lunch on three occasions in recentg months when visiting people at the University and it is an excellent genuine French Bistro lunch.

If you want to see other opinions look at the reviews on Eat-Out. The best independent restaurant guide in the country.

eatout.co.za/restaurants/…

All the other places recommended are well out of town and would take

hours to walk from the Eendracht!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

I also very much support the recommendation for Cafe Dijon - it is a real French brasserie with excellent food and service.

9. Re: Nearest winery in Stellenbosch to walk to from Eendrach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 05:34