We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Wine Home

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Wine Home

We are going to the winelands and would like to bring back at least a case to the US. We are thinking of checking it as additional baggage. WIll this work? What's the best way to purchase and package for the flight? Thanks.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Wine Home

This will be expensive and will need to go in the hold - you can get special flight cartons from Catherine's Fine Wine shops in Cape Town (V&A Waterfront and Strand Street near the Castle) - we also saw them for sale at Kanonkop winery.

A possibly better idea is to get the winery to ship it or find a distributor near you who sells the wine - all wineries will be only too pleased to tell you of US distributors

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Wine Home

I assumed it would be more expensive to ship than to take as an "extra bag" or pack in our suitcases.

I think we will try to purchase wines that may not be available in US. Any recommendations?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Wine Home

All the best and the big Wine estates have US distributors. It is MUCH cheaper to check with the estate who their distributors are (they will all have lists in the tasting rooms) and order what you want when you get back to the US. Remember for anything more than a few bottles you will have to also pay duties into the US.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing Wine Home

I have a friend who lives in New York and spends a few months here. Whenever he goes back home (to Nyc) he packs up 6/12 bottles in a special carton - sold at Carolines and Vaughan Johnson's i think and he puts it in the hold as his 2nd suitcase. Youre allowed 2 suitcases internationally from the States. Alternatively if you want more buy a suitcase, pack the bottles in that special box which has polystirine and cardboard and is made for the hold and then pack the boxes in the suitcase. Just remember though that you are only really allowed 1 bottle when you enter the states so its a chance youre taking that you wont get searched. He never does. Its the only way to take it. When we went to our daughters wedding I packed the wine in the suitcase in bubble wrap. It got all the way to New York from Cape Town fine - when we went through customs in New York I saw wine dribbling behind me. I nearly had a heart attack - thank goodness we had a nice customs official and he asked how many bopttles i had - i said 3 so he told me I was only allowed 1 - so I said well now there is only 1. Thank Goodness he let us through and we unpacked everything in the hall outside customs. Fortunately i had bought my daughter a LOT of Carrol Boyes gifts which were all wrapped in cardboard and the cardboard soaked up the wine so hubby's dinner suit was in tack. What a mission. Take the boxes specially made for the wine

5. Re: Bringing Wine Home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2010, 05:35