We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Calgary
3 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

Hello all, am going to South Africa the end of November for 21 days and have been doing some research throughout the forums on here and got some good stuff already. But I wanted to see if there are any other things out there that could be of any use to a pretty "green" traveler.

Will be meeting my fiance over there, who is doing a practicum, so she has a little insight on the things to see and do, but I know there is always more.

We do have a penthouse rented for the first 10 days of the trip and will be staying in and around Cape, but we will have a rental car to catch some things outside the area.

Things I have found so far in Cape that are of interest:

-Sky diving

-Wine tours

-Beaches (Boulder, Camps etc.)

-Outdoor concerts on Sundays my fiance has been telling me about?

-Markets/Shopping

Is there anything I am missing, and any helpful advice on what I have mentioned?

After the 10 days with the penthouse, we were thinking about going from Capt to Johannesburg (sp?) then from there to Kreuger Park for a couple days. Thoughts? Is it worth the flight/time/money?

After we were thinking about taking the Buz Bus back from the north and find our way back down to Cape, making a few stops before our departure. Anyone done the Buz Bus before?

Thanks so much for any helpful information, it is much appreciated!

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

I am not an expert on South Africa but spent 26 days there last March and am going again on 29th October for 22 days so see the things we missed last time. Spend some time going around the Cape Peninsular (including Boulders) - there are some great sights, beaches, towns - all different. Spring/early summer is apparently the best time to go to Kirstenbosch Botanical gardens (on our list for this time). We are also planning a Township tour. Further afield, go to De Kelders/Hermanus (whale watching at the right time - might just make it before they all disappear). Shark Cage diving just around the corner from de kelders. We did Route 62 from Worcester through to near Port Elizabeth - totally different from the coastal garden route, then came back via the Garden Route and visited Knysna, Plet - we want to go to Tsitzikama Forest and Storms River mouth this trip - ran out of time last year. Can't comment on Kruger - we went to a private reserve just past Port Elizabeth called Lalibela (half the price of Shamwari) but there are others in that region.

Hope this helps a bit - it's amazing where 21 days goes when there are loads of things to see and do.

Have a great trip

Swellendam
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

Baz Bus is ideal - suggest on your way back to CT you stop off at the Paradise backpackers at Oudtshoorn - lots to do there including the Cango Caves - truly awesome. They provide a shuttle service from Mossel bay or George I think - check it out on the Bazbus website www.bazbus.co.za). Ideally, make your last overnight at Swellendam backpackers - you can go horse-riding in the mountains and there are other great tours you can do to the Bontebok National Park (which is brilliant) or down to Cape Agulhas. The backpackers will give you all the info you need.

Have a great stay in SA - its fantastic - but be careful, it may be a life-changing experience - I came 7 years ago and never went back...!

Calgary
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

Awesome, thanks a million you guys! Appreciate the help!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

Hello rumohrd

Why do you not hire a car for you trip back. The Baz Bus is ideal for single travellers and people who are travelling over a longer period. A car hire might work out more economical and you will be able to fit in a lot more.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

Hello rumohrd

Why do you not hire a car for you trip back. The Baz Bus is ideal for single travellers and people who are travelling over a longer period. A car hire might work out more economical and you, if there are 2 of you, will be able to fit in a lot more.

Calgary
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

Thanks for the information capetownfan, after talking about it with my fiance we think we are going to go the rental car route. After looking at the Baz Bus and the amount of time we do have, we were thinking about cutting our touring on the coast a little shorter than Kruger Park, as we only have 11 days to see and do everything, and were thinking of flying into Durban and renting a car there and driving back to Cape. Thoughts? Whats are the must sees along there? Thanks again in advance, its much appreciated!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

Hi rumohrd

There is so much to see from Durban to Cape town.

My Favourites would be Port St Johns, Cintsa, Storms River (Tsitsikama National Park), Knysna, Oudshoorn and R62 Route.

8. Re: Ideas for a 21 day trip to Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 05:18