We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maze @ The One and Only

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
UK
Level Contributor
271 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Maze @ The One and Only

I'm going to be in Cape Town in March and would like to go back to Maze, how soon should I book, it was really busy when I was there but it had only just opened.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maze @ The One and Only

No harm in booking three months in advance especially if there are lots of you or you want a specific table. There are a lot of better and better value restaurants than Maze in Cape Town

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
UK
Level Contributor
271 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maze @ The One and Only

I liked the Showroom too but can't find any details on them, anywhere else you suggest? We like our food!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maze @ The One and Only

The Showroom closed earlier this year.

In the Cape Town area itself I would recommend in no particular order;

Jardine (just about and I hear the chef is moving/has moved)

Bizerca (modern surroundings but classic French cuisine)

Opal Lounge (flamboyant in both ambience and cooking)

La Colombe (in Constantia but the best of this bunch)

Catherina's at Steenberg (also in Constantia - much improved)

Others that I have not been to would include Aubergine and Cargill's Buitenverwachting is another good (especially lunch) place in Constantia

If you have access to transport/driver I would also seriously consider Rust en Vrede near Stellenbosch - a 45 minute drive but well worth it

Mentioned in this post
Buitenverwachting
Buitenverwachting
174 Reviews
Constantia, South Africa
La Colombe
La Colombe
2,541 Reviews
Constantia, South Africa
Aubergine
Aubergine
747 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Constantia
Constantia
Cape Town, South Africa
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maze @ The One and Only

The Showroom is now Portofino - physically little changed except there are curtains between it and the car showroom so a warmer feel and the bar has changed. Local opinions are very split, but still worth a visit. Now cheaper and with an Italian slant.

For 'real' Italian in the city centre the good news is that Mezzaluna is now open for dinner Tues - Sat.

For a 'meat' only restaurant consider Carne.

Jardine is still up there with the best, but I agree Rust en Vrede and La Colombe are the two top spots!

Opal Lounge is great for lovely surroundings and attentive service - quite 'romantic' and 'atmospheric' but IMO (and I know I will be attacked for this and it is just based on one visit) not in the top tier as far as the actual food is concerned

Mentioned in this post
La Colombe
La Colombe
2,541 Reviews
Constantia, South Africa
UK
Level Contributor
271 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maze @ The One and Only

That's a shame, I liked being able to see the cars! Thanks for all the tips! x

UK
Level Contributor
271 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maze @ The One and Only

Next question.. does anyone have an email address for Maze, the one on their site isn't working!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maze @ The One and Only

Just ring Gordon Ramsey at the maze in London. You may get some abuse but you'll probably get the e-mail address either from him or one of his minnions!

8. Re: Maze @ The One and Only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 05:16