We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
109 posts
17 reviews
Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

We are looking for a walkable area of Cape Town with restaurants and shops, etc. The hotels and guest houses appear to be spread throughout the city. I assume this takes advantage of the views and geography. My preference would be an area that is more walkable over views. We were looking at the 2inn1 Kensington. But I'm open to suggestions. Is V&A waterfront touristy or a good area?

I appreciate your thoughts.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
1. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

V&A Waterfront is an area for tourists and locals alike - its a shopping area and restaurants. Except for the V&A Hotel, and the Cape Grace there are no hotels inside the Waterfront - One and Only also a few steps away.

So it depends on what you want to spend. Stay in Sea Point or Green Point or Mouille Point - all walkable areas

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

I agree with Divacape. You could add Bantry Bay, Camps Bay and Three Anchor Bay. This area makes up part of the Atlantic Sea Board, is close to the Waterfront and there are several good restaurants in the vicinity. Should you wish to wine and dine and not drive, taxis are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
13,722 posts
152 reviews
3. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

Just back ..stayed at An African Villa ( will be doing review) and found location excellent..walked to restaurants, and walked to Long Street..also easy to cab it to spots, can't recommend this hotel enough! It was in Tamboerskloof area.

New England
Level Contributor
105 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

Hello:

I saw your post and it sounds like you enjoyed the Tamerskloof area?

We are trying to decide between Tamerskloof and Green Point area for loding.

As long as there are restaurants and shops within walking distance for dinner, etc we don't mind if we're not that near the waterfront.

Any advice?

Thank you!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
158 reviews
5. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

If you are looking to walk places Green Point is much closer to Sea Point, The Waterfront, Cape Quarter than Tamboersklof.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

If I had a choice, I would stay in Tamboerskloof as close to Kloof Street as possible. There are hundreds of interesting restaurants as well as many small interesting shops. It is special to have Table Mountain towering over you. You can even have a real South African experience by using the local minibus taxi's from Kloof Street down to the city centre, which is very safe, although you can take a walk don to the centre easily.

New England
Level Contributor
105 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

Hello:

Thankyou.

As you know, it is a difficult decision. It is very helpful to get a lot of details and information so we can weigh our choices.

Do you know if Mountain Magic is near Kloof Street?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
103 reviews
8. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

Hi,

Romney Park Luxury Suites in Green Point have two bedrooms, kitchens, views, concierge. October rates have not been published. I will go and check it out and report back. Suggest you check reviews on TA.

Cheers.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
103 reviews
9. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

Hi,

Romney Park Luxury Suites in Green Point is really nice. It has a five star classification (as against David's three star), is in a quiet conveniently located area, the rooms are extremely well furnished with complete kitchens and the livingrooms are spacious. All suites have balconies and the higher the floor, the better the view. There is a reception area. Rates in August are R1900 for the Senator 2 bedroom suite and continental breakfast is R120 per person,

full South African breakfast R150 per person. Security is excellent.

David's is very nice but there is no real view. It is spotlessly clean and the rates (all year) are R795 per room (for 2 persons) and R895 for three people (extra bed).

New England
Level Contributor
105 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Best area of Cape Town to Stay?

Thank you for checking this out!

It seems lovely.

Also, at the rate, it is only R300 per night more than David's for a 2BR vs. two separate rooms at Davids.

Will seriously consider this.

It is about R600 more than Tamerskloof, but much more walkable destination, correct?