We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private tour

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Pennsyltucky
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
private tour

Can anyone recommend a private tour company that would be driving more of a town car rather than a 7 person minibus? Thank you.

Pennsyltucky
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: private tour

please disregard question-did not realize my husband already posted a forum question. oops! :)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: private tour

if i were you, i would use a seven seat minibus as you are much higher up and will see more.

Mark September

Small World Tors

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: private tour

.... i absolutely second that suggestion

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: private tour

Hi Mark and Capensis

Appreciate both of you and the guided tours you give but I have to question your comments on a minibus versus a saloon car such as the Mercedes or large Audi used by the company that was recommended in the posters other thread.

I drive a very high 4x4 (at least equivalent height to a minibus) and my wife drives a small modern saloon with big windows, but with normal road clearance. When we take visiting relatives and friends out sightseeing round the peninsula, height above the road is a totally minor consideration as to which vehicle we use. The peninsula roads are so hilly up and down and the views so wide that I cannot see that a few further centimetres off the ground makes any difference at all. If you want to be high up go on the top deck of the Sightseeing bus. Surely the comfort of the vehicle is an equal considereation.

I think the poster anyway was really asking about personal tours compared to group tours.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: private tour

The height of the vehicle is a critical advantage when you're amongst other cars...especially when viewing animals etc. The larger vehicle offers more space and comfort. It is easier to get in and out of......eg. thats a big consideration when Hotels choose their shuttle vehicles. The higher seats are much easier on the back as you'll be getting in and out of the vehicle a lot. There are more and bigger windows....etc.

There really is no price difference anyway.......and you can do private tours in both..... So the question could easily be regarding a matter of price

A Topless bus puts you too far above the immediate scenery and so you are forced to look at the distant things ...especially if you are not sitting on the sides.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: private tour

I thought this was for a tour of wineries. Where is the wildlife? Of course I agree if you are in Kruger!

Concerning hotels my experience, in Cape Town and all around the world, is that mass market hotels use minibuses to shuttle guests to the airport - basically because they can get more people in them.

Up market hotels nearly all use limousines such as Mercedes for individual guests - they are more comfortable!!

If your comments were correct people would not buy up-market luxury saloons if they had the money - just mini buses.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: private tour

Well then my comments are even more correct because the choice between BMW, MERCEDES AND Audi is and important choice in terms of comfort of getting in and out of the vehicle, leg space etc....according to the many upmarket hotels i have dealt with. A 4x4 does not have the same space comfort as a combi...as you have pointed out.

Although this is not a wildlife tour the height advantage combined with the comfort is an advantage........

However, i was just highlighting the general advantages and sharing my experiences according to guest comments over the years.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: private tour

Guests of mine have been using Ilios (www.legendtourism.co.za) for their private tours this week, and they have been very impressed with the overall service from them.

From what I have seen ilios are using BMW and Mercedes cars for their private tours whereas other operators are tending to put you in a microbus.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: private tour

I do tours in both luxury cars and mimibusses and have seen the difference personally. not only are you higher than other vehicles (including 4x4s) but the windows are MUCH bigger so you have a better all round view. this is a great advantage when veiwing anything. you will definately be able to appreciate the scenery more in a minibus. most hotels put people in luxury cars for the prestige value not because they are better touring vehicles.

the one minibus i would not recommend is a 13 seat quantum which most of the big touring companies use. they are not comfortable and the windows are MUCH too small. both Capensis and i are very experienced guides and these comments come from years of personal experience touring in a wide variety of vehicles.

Mark

Mark

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: private tour

sorry, i forgot to mention i only do private tours and even if there is just one person, i would still recommend a minibus.

Mark

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central