We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on Itinerary due to weather

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Plainville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Question on Itinerary due to weather

Hello,

My husband and I are very excited to be leaving for South Africa on Saturday. I have looked at the forecast for next week and there is going to be a bit of rain during our time in Cape Town. I will hope the forecast is wrong or will change, but right now it says rain for Tuesday and Thursday. Orginally we were going to do Table Mountain and a township tour on Tuesday which we won't do if it is raining (will move it to Wed and do it after our 9am Robben Island tour).

Thursday we were going to do the drive of the peninsula. My question is this - can we do the peninsula drive in the rain or should we do Stellenbosch and Franschoek in the rain instead (which we were going to do on Friday)?

Thanks for your advice!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on Itinerary due to weather

I agree the weather forecast for the next week looks rather depressing. However, today was forecast as 60% rain. While early morning was grey and wet by 11 am it was clear and the rest of the day was sunny and very pleasant. I think you should wait to you get here before deciding what to do on particular days - we often get 4 seasons in one day and there are micro climates around the city - it can be wonderful in Green Point and awful in Constantia. This afternoon,despite the forecast I am sure it was possible to go up Table Mountain so you just cant always tell.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on Itinerary due to weather

Yes, out of personal experience, we also had a bad weather forecast for our stay in Capetown, but as macsym said, the microclimate is something of a mystery in Capetown.

The short and easy answer to this is to be flexible! We managed to do and see everything we wanted. In our 5 days in Capetown, we were flexible and I particulary remember that one day that was just perfect (in the middle of the other 4 so-so days). We went up Table Mountain and did the Cape Penninsular tour - it was just a perfect day! Having seen the forecast before, I would have not thought that there would be a bright sunny summer day in between the Captonian winter days .

3. Re: Question on Itinerary due to weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:20