We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cape town air-port hotel

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Wicklow, ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
cape town air-port hotel

We spent one night at the cape town air-port hotel and we might as well have stayed in "a road kill hotel". The smell and the condition of the room was the worst I have been in. The smell was a combination of lack of hygiene, old alcohol and smelly feet. Poor ventilation must also play a role. The light fixture was coming apart. The toilet door could not close let alone, lock. The actual room door could not lock properly. Cigarette burn marks on the furniture tells the tales. Needles to say I would not sleep on the bed or take off my shoes. It was late and we were hiring a car from the airport for the following morning but never again.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cape town air-port hotel

Oh dear, that sounds awful. I'm glad we're not staying there.

Did you complain to them?

Wicklow, ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cape town air-port hotel

I think after flying all day and spending a sleepless nite in the hotel, I just wanted to get out of there at the first light. I did not even have the energy to complain to them. I probably should because this is the world cup hosting city and the lodge is a first port of call for most visitors new to the city. It is my home town afterall. So I am very dissapointed. I will report it though.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cape town air-port hotel

I strongly recommend that you complain to City Lodge Head Office as they are recognised as the preferred South Africa hotel group for the World Cup.

Their email address is: info@citylodge.co.za. The least you could expect is an apology and you might even be rewarded with a voucher?

This is not the first time I have heard of dirty rooms at this lodge.

Cirencester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cape town air-port hotel

Oh dear

I am booked in there next Friday night!

After a late arriving flight from the UK

Little choice at that time of night.

Will my hire car be available at 11:30pm?

Hurry up and complain!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cape town air-port hotel

Can you cancel? Why not try for another hotel in the city with shuttle service?

6. Re: cape town air-port hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 14:52
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,730 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cape town air-port hotel

This really is outrageous. Think about it. The place has a monopoly - and the only explanation for such crappy conditions is management. Indifferent, uninvolved management. The Road Lodge has its own individual email address - rlctia.dm@citylodge.co.za - and Manager is listed as Paul Vernon. I'm going to send him this thread right now and see what he has to say.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Wicklow, ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cape town air-port hotel

We were told by the herz car hire desk that they were open that night we arrived late. If I knew that we would get a bad room I would have taken the car and paid the extra day car hire to get into the city. I am a capetonian and I would like them to get their act together before the world cup. This is not how foreigners should feel when they sleep at the first hotel in the city. Fortunately I know cape town is up there with the best in hotel accommodation, from my own experience and not because I grew up there.

They should rather charge a little more and fix up the place instead of letting it go to the dogs.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cape town air-port hotel

At that time of night, the centre of the city , and other hotels, are only 15-20 minutes away. Some car hire companies will deliver the car to your hotel, later in your stay.

Just some options for others.

UK
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: cape town air-port hotel

I am really concerned to read this as we are supposed to be staying there next weekend. Our flight only arrives very late in the evening so we were concerned about driving into Cape Town late at night. We have a car booked at the airport so would it be safe to drive from the airport into central Cape Town after midnight?