We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
New England
Level Contributor
105 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

Hello:

We are 4 adults and are visiting Cape Town after a 6 day safari near Richard's Bay.

We would prefer connecting rooms (2 adults per room) and/or a suite, although it isn't essential if the accommodations are a reasonable cost for separate rooms.

We are totally knew to Cape Town and have heard good things about Camps Bay, Boulders Beach, Simonstown, etc. We will rent a car but would like to stay somewhere where we feel safe walking (4 adult women) to and from restaurants and shops.

Also, any other tips regarding areas to stay, visit, rent a car, or other helpful advice would be appreciated.

Also, does it matter if we stay in a bed and breakfast or in a hotel?

Thank you!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

HI,

I have recently stayed at the Mandela Rhodes Place hotel in Cape Town. We had a 2 bedroomed aparment. 2 large bedrooms - both with en suite bath/shower rooms, lounge/kitchen/dining room and balcony. Very nice and comfortable. Two nice restaurants at the hotel. A very nice Asian restaurant across the road (Haiku (sp)).

It's in what I guess you would call downtown Cape Town. Restaurants on Kloof and Long Street are accessible. Quick and easy drive to all other parts of Cape Town - table mountain cable car, V&A waterfront, Camps Bay etc...

Tons of other options, but I can recommend Mandela Rhodes from recent personal experience.

Enjoy Cape Town!

Pete

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

If you would like to walk around at night, I do not think the centre of the city would be the right place to stay.

Camps Bay and the Waterfront are safe at night. Granger Bay and Mouille Point is close to the Waterfront and you could walk from there during the day but not at night.

The Radisson Hotel at Granger Bay is lovely (sea-facing rooms). You could also check out Victoria and Alfred Waterfront Hotel and see where you can get the best deals.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

Hi Brebeans - I agree with Tourist Guide but just to add something. August is winter and normally the wettest month so you might not do that much walking around - especially not at night - its dark and not safe for women to be walking around. Summertime is a different story. To add to her list - Sea Point, Green Point. I certainly would NOT recommend you stay in the Simonstown area.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

I actually think Mandela Rhodes Place would be a good choice for all the reasons previously mentioned. There is good security in the area and it is conveniently sited if you are not adverse to 'city living' The two bedroom apartments in Court Chambers building enjoy particularly good views of Table Mountain. In addition to the several close by restaurants - next month sees the opening of the adjacent 5 star Taj hotel which will offer further dining choices.

Edited: 09 December 2009, 07:52
Cape Town
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

Definitely Mandela Rhodes Place is a great hotel, 5 minutes (walking distance) from town and the waterfront. It's ideal since public transport is not the best option and these are the best areas and close to the best things to see.

But you can't miss the Winelands either. I would try to stay a minimum of 5-7 nights in Cape Town and at least 2 nights in the Winelands, preferably Stellenbosch (about 40km from Cape Town) or Franschhoek (about an hour from Cape Town).

If you want a tailor made advise, take a look at this website:

http://www.south-african-safari.com

Hope I could help:)

Camila

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

Hi,

Cannot agree wih camila_del who appears to have repeated the same posting several times. The centre of the city is not a safe place to walk at night, especially not for four adult women.

If two interleading rooms at a hotel is too pricey, am sure you could find excellent deals renting an apartment either at the Waterfront, Granger Bay (Waterclub), Mouille Point or Camps Bay. This area is along the Atlantic Seaboard, you have lovely views and transport is easy. Taxis should be taken at night after sunset.

Port Alfred, South...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

Hi there,

sounds like you are in for a lovely trip - the areas you are visiting are great.

Not sure if its just a hotel you are looking for but there are also some lovely guest houses (5Star) around the area which you may want to consider. Many have their own pools and provide great quality and safe accommodation.

If it helps perhaps have a look on

www.where2stay-southafrica.com

www.sa-venues.com

Enjoy your trip

New England
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

Thank you all for your advice.

We do not need to stay in a hotel, we could stay in a B&B or an apartment. But, if we stayed in an apartment, I think we'd feel safer if it had a concierge and/or some security, etc.

Is it worth going to Cape Town in December, givne that someone said it will likely be very rainy?

We are starting our trip to Africa by going on Safari for 6 days outside of Richard's Bay. We were then planning on flying to Cape Town and spending 6 nights there. Is there another place in SA that we should visit instead of Cape Town during that time of year (august)? I know that is is the winter season, but I didn't think the weather would be detrimental to our visit.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

December would definitely be a better option weather-wise, but late December/early January is very busy due to the South Africans having holidays themselves as well and travelling.

You should find some good deals for August as it's low season and the World Cup is over.

How about something like the Mountain Magic Garden Suites: http://www.capetownsuites.co.za/

Most places have security and/or alarm systems installed. But there is really not too much to worry about.

Of course with B&Bs and hotels, you will have the added peace of mind of the owners/managers being present as well.

There are simply so many nice places to chose from.

Just have a look at some reviews here on tripadvisor and also look at some of the accommodation website to compare rates and get a feel of what's available, etc

http://www.sa-venues.com

http://www.wheretostay.co.za

http://www.southafrica-stay.com

to name a few...

Wishing you all the luck of finding something great! :)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay - 4 adults in August 2010 Prefer a suite

Not sure who told you December is rainy in Cape Town - it's about the driest month of the year! The first half of December befor the holidays is probably the best two weeks to come to Cape Town - Like right now!

August on the other hand is one of the wettest months and cold and windy.

Your post is actually a bit confusing - August or December?