We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Please

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
England
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice Please

My husband and I shall be spending 3 weeks in South Africa in April next year.

We shall be staying for 1 night in Johannesburg before spending 3 nights on safari at Makanyane. We will then be flying to Port Elizabeth via Johannesburg and will be spending 2 nights at The Elephant House, 2 nights at Tsala, 1 night at Mardouw, 2 nights at Le Quartier Francais, finishing with 3 nights in Cape Town at the Taj Hotel.

We have never been to South Africa before and I would be very grateful if someone could please advise as to places we should make a point of seeing........we will be keeping our hire car whilst in Cape Town.

Can anyone recommend a good guide book which will cover these areas please?

Any tips and/or advice would be very much appreciated.

Also, what would you recommend packing in terms of clothes?

Thanking you for your help........

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Please

In April you are heading towards autumn but there is still likely to be warm/hot days with temperatures of 25 degrees plus. Of course you may also get driving rain and gales - welcome to the Cape !!

Apart from that, for clothes I would point out that when going out to eat etc. South Africans on the whole are fairly scruffy (sorry, casual !) in their garb. Even somewhere as comparatively upmarket as Le Quartier Francais in Franschhoek will be relaxed in its dress code.

When driving from Tsala to Mardouw please be tempted to take a slight detour - the main N2 road is dullsville. Get to George and then turn inland to Oudtshoorn and then west along the amazing R62 as far as Barrydale then cut south through Tradauws Pass = great scenic route

From Swellendam to Franschhoek enjoy another great scenic drive via Montagu, Robertson, Villiersdorp and over the Franschhoek Pass - lovely view of the wineries in the Valley as you enter Franschhoek.

There is a lot more to the Winelands than wine but if you are interested let us know and you will get lots of suggestions

A car in CT itself is a good idea as public transport is limited - Essentials are Table Mountain, a city tour (further than just the V&A Waterfront area) and try and see as much as Cape Point as you can especially the Chapmans Peak Drive

There are lots of good general guidebooks - now is a great time to buy one as many have been recently updated for the World Cup. Another more specialiist book that I am currently thoroughly enjoying is called "The Romance of the Cape Mountain Passes"

Cape Town
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Please

Two other nice books to read is Cape Town Tourism's Visitor Guide (all about Cape Town) and Cape Town Routes Unlimited's book Visitors Guide (all about the Western Cape) which tells you everything you need to know about the areas! They also have very informative websites!

England
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Please

Thank you both very much for your help on this.......I really appreciate it.

Yes, I would certainly be interested in learning more about the Winelands, so any additional recommendations would be very well received.

I notice that in my original post I said we would be in South Africa for 3 weeks - sadly that was wishful thinking, we'll only be there for 2 weeks!

On the clothes front it looks as though we'll have to pack for all eventualities, so it looks as though any idea which I may have had of travelling light has gone completely out of the window!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Please

Hey Belfast - what do you mean were scruffy - ive never been referred to as scruffy in my life and dont class myself as being scruffy at all (lol!)

Diva from Italy - clothing! Last year April was still wonderfully warm. Its hard to tell. Wait till nearer the time. Its not going to be cold especially if youre at the beginning of April - if its near the end cooler then. Today we had a howling S. Easter - it even blew gales in Bantry Bay believe it or not. I would say still summer clothes but more l/s shirts as opposed to sleeveless and a light weight jacket - not winter woolies. You might still be able to wear shorts (except of course to a restaurant unless you want to be labelled as "scruffy").

Belfast its actually the tourists that come in looking scruffy in their shorts and t shirts as opposed to us locals and of course youre excluded from one of those scruffy tourists!

5. Re: Advice Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central