We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Lancashire
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

Hi

we'll be in Cape Town early Feb 2010 on holiday during which my partner will be celebrating his 40th birthday. There will only be the 2 of us, his favourite food is steak. Looking for somewhere good to eat with a bit of atmosphere on his birthday. Having done a quick search Belthazar gets some good reviews. Would it be a good choice?

Any other suggestions or even places we could go after we've eaten for a lively atmosphere? Not clubs but like live music... will be a Monday night.

Thanks in advance

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

Belthazar is a good restaurant and serves very tasty if slightly overpriced steak and wines

IMO however it is not perhaps a birthday celebration place with a lively atmosphere - in Feb you could probably sit outside on the terrace which would be lovely except for the hordes of people walking past around the V&A - inside might actually be a better bet although on a Monday night it will be quiet -same goes for music clubs I would imagine although I am not an expert on that.

Alternatives to Belthazar for a birthday celebration - if it must be steak maybe Carne or if you can get a terrace table with a view perhaps Baia (also in the V&A but upstairs) which is best known as a seafood restaurant but also produces a good steak

For something different and a real birthday memory try Opal Lounge or take a taxi round to Constantia and try one of the great restaurants there such as La Colombe

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

Hi,

Have a look at South Africa's top restaurants on www.eatout.co.za.

Belthazar is very nice but I believe their wines are expensive.

Baia is a good choice - lovely view, at the Waterfront vast menu and extensive wine list. Should you decide to go there, be sure to reserve a window table with the full glory of the view. Excellent service.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

I would suggest Carne, much more sexy, intimate and trendy than Belthazar - and the wine is cheaper!!

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

And you cannot make a reservation to sit outside at Belthazar.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
327 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

We recently ate at Belthazar with some friends over from the UK and I was quite disappointed. The food is overpriced and the wines are severely overpriced.

I havn't eaten at Baia for some time, but always enjoyed it.

My recommendation for a great evening out is Pigalle. Solidly good food, great service, live music - packed out virtually every night shows they have the right combination.

Ate at La Colombe recently and was disappointed as well - had high expectations as it has been rated best restaurant in South Africa (and Africa), but the food was nothing special.

The best fine dining I have had recently was dinner at Buitenverwachting - they have a set menu with a glass of wine with each course. There was a seven course or five course option - we went for the five courses and it was superb. Only downside is that it is quiet in the evening.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

i just wanted to say thank you for all the replies i had to my query about restaurants...

We tried booking Baia for the birthday celebration given the recommendations but it was fully booked for Feb 2010 when trying to book 1.5 months in advance! I guess that says something for the restaurant. We have booked for another night on the terrace so looking forward to that.

We have now reserved a table at the Opal Lounge which looks lovely.

Thanks again

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

We ate at the Opal Lounge recently and it was superb, perfect for a special birthday meal for 2! Hubby had the tender filet of beef - he said that it was the best plate of food that he has ever eaten.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

We have just returned from our South Africa trip and had a superb time - loved it. I wanted though just to complete this thread with an update of our experience at the restaurants recommended in Cape Town.

For the birthday celebration we booked The Opal Lounge (ahead of our trip) and couldn't have asked for anything better. The food and service were 2nd to none. The owner Rochelle also went out of her way to help me make my partner's birthday really special and we had arranged to have a magician come to the table to perform some slight of hand type tricks, champagne on the table etc. It was excellent so thanks for the recommendation. This isn't an every day type place to eat as its a bit over the top and very grand with black silk drapes and gold flourishes everywhere but very very nice for a special occasion.

However, in complete contrast we also went to Baia whom were fully booked for his birthday night but we did book anyway for the next night. How disappointing it was. Our waitress was very odd, couldn't get any service from her after she first greeted us, forgot what we ordered, wine list appeared only an hour after we arrived and she had been telling us she had been waiting for us to arrive filling her time with other tables. We were not offered bread but it eventually arrived after our main meal, the couple next to us didn't get any at all and they were clearly celebrating an anniversary or similar with rose petals on the table. They also had the wrong food delivered and sent that back. My prawns were nice (not exceptional) but the presentation surprised me, a bit messy and the starters were the same as the mains with full portions of rice swimming in sauce splashed up the plate so a little off putting. My partners steak was terrible (rib eye on the insistence of our waitress) which was well done not medium/rare as requested and potatoes different to ordered. The manager asked us how our meal had been and we told him but did nothing about it other than have a chat to the waitress who then came straight over to confront us! - a sham and never experienced anything like it. Our table on the veranda as requested overlooked all the smokers who had gone outside for a quick fag between courses and the atmosphere was like that of a canteen - not sure if this room is usually open to the sky but closed up with all the glass it was noisy and hollow. Not a great experience and so pleased they couldn't accommodate the birthday meal - must have been fate.

Belthazar was great - we went there too on our first evening and ate inside and the atmosphere was lovely. Steak was excellent but agree wine was a little more expensive than you would expect to pay.

Thanks again for all your help - watch out for Baia and the hype but appreciate everywhere can have an off day....

Hamburg
Level Contributor
355 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

IMO you should avoid Belthazar. Had lunch there in Novermber outside, it was quite usy and the service wasn't good at all. Steaks came extremely "well done" although we ordered "medium". They replace it but then it was almost "raw". We walked away and were extrmely disappointed.

Never gain......

10. Re: Belthazar Restaurant - birthday celebration?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 05:16