We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hout Bay area restautants

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
london
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hout Bay area restautants

We will be in Hout Bay for four nights and will have a car.

Your favourites please for good fish - cheap and cheerful is fine

and places on the water too. Anywhere with great views - expect Constantia?

Also, what do you locals recommend as best route into town and where to park? Would like to explore the Waterkant district this time.

Mentioned in this post
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Constantia
Constantia
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

I live in Hout Bay and eat here often – although also frequently drive into the city for dinner.

For lunches if you are in Hout Bay at lunch time lot's of choices. The Lookout Deck right where the Seal Island boats are is a great Fish and Chip or seafood place (they also do OK Pizazas). You sit on a Deck over the harbour, usually with seals playing around a few feet away. Alternatively, for a little difference my favorite smaller lunch place is an upmarket Deli called Deli Delish (opposite the FNB Bank at the other end of the Beach).

dining-out.co.za/member_details-MemberID-325…

Lots of options here but my favourite is the Lamb Buger done in Greek Style, served rare with youghurt and apricot. Lots of great sandwiches again with a greek bent and more substantial meals - if by now you feel the need!

This place has two more things to recommend it. Firstly it is the one place where you can drink the whole range of Hout Bay wines. Some developing possibilities including the Kling Sauv Blanc (waiting for the 2009) and the Ambeloui MCC fizz by far the best Hout Bay wine but, unfortunately not available by the glass. Secondly it has the most fun loos in Cape Town - just go see!

Other fish places include :

Chapmans Peak Hotel - the calamari really is the best and the deck faces west for sundowners. Portugese owners so also good protugese specialities

Mariners Wharf - pretty touristy (waiters in matelot costume) but the food is pretty good and a good fish range

So for dinner. In Hout Bay itself my absolute favourite is Kitima. This is not only my favourite local restaurant but one of my favourite restaurants in Cape Town! In other reviews (not by me) it has been called “the best Thai restaurant south of Bangkok”! It has one of the best restaurant packages around. It starts with great food. Kitima is the chef and she is from Thailand and has friends and family and lots of help in the kitchen. She is married to a German and her brother in law handles the front of the house. The service is fantastic with loads of extremely well trained staff from all round the world, any of whom can go through the whole Thai menu with you in detail, On of the best things about Kitima however is the Building. Kronendal Farm is the oldest building in Hout Bat dating in parts from 1780 with the main part being added in 1800. The building has been extremly well restored with much of the original woodwork and recreated original paint schemes. However Asian influences have been added mixing in the Thai theme and the fact that slaves from the Malaysian peninsula would have been responsible for the original woodwork. The building retains it’s room layout with four restaurant rooms. A new extension opened, quite recently, with conversion of some of the original outbuildings.

The final part of the original restaurant is that the large central “Agterkammer” has been converted into IMO the best cocktail bar in Cape Town a beautiful area with a great range of cocktails made by experts. All this would be great in an expensive restaurant but a meal in here for two, 4 starters, three main courses, rice and noodles with one cocktail each and a bottle of Hartenburg Riesling, my favourite wine with somewhet spicy food comes to less than R500 - less than £20 per person! dining-out.co.za/member_details-MemberID-240…

For a very different local evening try Massimo's Pizza Club is a different concept of restaurant. It offers great Pizza in unlimited amounts with Salad and desert but you don't order. You just join in at a large single table mixing with whoever is there that evening - locals, other Capetonians and visitors alike. Different, fresh pizzas are brought to the table every minute or two, and you just help yourself to what you like. Massimo is from Piemonte in the north of Italy and the Pizzas are great. His wife Tracey who is the main server is from Liverpool! Here is the link :

http://www.pizzaclub.co.za/Html/concept.html

The restaurant is in Oakhurst Farm Centre about 2km out of Hout Bay on the Main Road to Constantia Nek.

WARNING - don't go there if :

a. You don't like Pizza.

b. You don't like people!

There is also Pure at the Hout Bay Manor – A “Fine Dining” restaurant with a German Chef - Alex Muller. I have eaten there a couple of times and it is good but feel I get better food in either the Constantia Wine Estate Restaurants or in the city. Seems to be developing a growing reputation though so probably need to try again.

Lots of other options in Hout Bay where we eat quite often :

Luigi's - standard trattoria but good. You might get a quick burst of Opera from the proprietor!

Chapmans Peak Hotel - the calamari really is the best and the deck faces west for sundowners.

Mariners Wharf - pretty touristy (waiters in matelot costume) but the food is pretty good.

A good pub if you want to watch sport on TV is Pirates next to the Spar.

For fish actually the Ocean Basket (one of a chain) is also fine and is the cheapest place in Hout Bay - good Fish and Chips less than R40.

Hout Bay is a good location as, being at the end of Table Mountain it is the first place going south that you can access the city either via the coast or the mountain east side. Both about equal distance. So which way you go depends on where you are going and how you feel!

To the Atlantic Seaboard and the Waterfront drive along the coast through Camps Bay (about 10mins) and then Clifton and Sea Point to the Waterfront.

Into the city bowl turn right in Bakoven before you get to Camps Bay and go over Kloof Nek. About 20mins total to Kloof Street.

To go anywhere up the southern suburbs - Cavendish Square Centre, Newlands, Kirstenbosch etc and then to the east side of the city. Drive over Constantia Nek and then along Rhodes Drive through the forests along the mountain side. From HB to Kirstenbosch is about 15mins and then an extra 10 into the city.

The great thing is that you have two spectacular but different choices to drive to the city - ocean and mountain or forest and mountain. I normally turn left or right when I leave home just depending on the way I feel!

Parking anywhere in Cape Town is very easy. It is free in many places and where you pay - like at the Waterfront or right in the city centre it is only around R10 (80p) for half a day. A parking problem in Cape Town is if you can't find a space within one minute and you have to park more than 50metres from where you are going!

Edited: 21 December 2009, 09:37
Mentioned in this post
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Camps Bay
Camps Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Bakoven
Bakoven
2 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Newlands
Newlands
Cape Town, South Africa
Hamburg
Level Contributor
364 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

We have been to some restaurants in Hout Bay very recently (Lookout, Ocean Basket) but the one I can really recomment is KITIMA.

It is in a very nice old building and the dining area and the adjacent bars are really posh.

The food is quite authentic and really good, service is efficient .Kitima is not a pure Thai restaurant but rather offers a rather large choice of pan Asian cuisine like chinese, malay, vienamese and of course japanese (the unavoidable shashimi and susi)

Mentioned in this post
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

Another vote from me for Kitima - really good cocktails and lovely food - slightly light on the spices but you can easily ask for the heat to be increased. We ate fantastic fish and prawns here.

Chapmans Peak Hotel - yes the calamari is lovely - but the place is quite dated. Try and sit outside and enjoy the view.

The pizza at Massimo - fantastic - best this side of Italy! (They also do carry out which we enjoyed as we were staying Self Catering).

For stunning food I'd suggest heading over the hill to Constantia - La Colombe was one of the best dining experiences we've had in a very long time.

Mentioned in this post
Constantia
Constantia
Cape Town, South Africa
Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
832 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

Whenever we're anywhere Hout Bay, we head to Snoekies for their fish and chips. Absolutely great - not the best location in Hout Bay to eat-in, but get the take-away and drive onto the breakwater.

My mouth is watering at the thought of it!

www.snoekies.co.za

Mentioned in this post
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
london
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

Thanks so much for your long and detailed reply - will follow them up.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
43 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

Fish on the rocks take aways (follow harbour rd to end) infinately better than Snoekies.

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

Another vote for Kitima......the best Asian place we have ever eaten in.

Huge menu with as big a wine & cocktail menu but you must book as far in advance as possible as it is nearly alway full.

Enjoy!!!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

Kitima is legendary, Mariner's Wharf most famous and Dunes is also quite nice, situated right at the beach.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

We have eaten at Marinners Wharf and had nice food, also good Italian - Luigis on the main road.

Enjoy.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hout Bay area restautants

A couple of new additions in Hout Bay.

A good new local restaurant called Wild Woods (next to Chapmans Peak Hotel). Run by a pretty well known Cape Town chef Peter Goffe-Wood. Has a lovely deck overlooking the bay. The food is excellent, as you would expect with a chef trained in top London Restaurants who also runs a Chefs school in Cape Town. They were however a little disorganised when we were there, the first weekend they were open last month. Pretty sure they will have sorted themselves out by now! Planned to go again last night but they were fully booked some days ahead (good sign!). http://www.wildwoods.co.za/

A very different new place is, just back up the road away from the beach, where we did actually eat last night for the third time. The Thai Cafe is a mix between a takeaway and a restaurant. But has excellent food both Thai and Chinese. A large glass fronted kitchen at the back with about six Thai and Chinese cooks working hard all evening. Bright modern Decor based on bright greens (see their website theme). Just three inside tables but a large outside deck with tables with views up the hills and just a bit of the bay. Fast good service and excellent prices. Well worth a visit for a quick dinner if you are staying in Hout Bay (or for a quality take-away meal).

Edited: 07 March 2010, 21:20
Mentioned in this post
Hout Bay
Hout Bay
Cape Town, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Thai Cafe
Thai Cafe
51 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa