We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Dublin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

Hi,

I'm looking to get some advice on our itinerary for a 2 week holiday starting in Capetown.

We're a couple in our 30's and want to get a nice balance between relaxing by the beach/in a winery and seeing what SA has to offer. We love getting off the beaten track and away from mass tourism where possible but I have to admit we like to stay in nice places and eat great food (not big soleless hotels though!). I'm pregnant so that does restrict us somewhat as I don't have the energy I used to.

Happy to drive but don't want to spend too much time in a car getting between places.

Any itinerary suggestions with recommendations of where to stay would be most welcome!

Sustainable Africa
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips
Wine Desk
Sightseeing Tours
African Blue Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Ashanti Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
521 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

Question is too general to get anyone to plan your trip.

Do some research and come back with a specific question.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

I assume that you will have a car (driving in SA is easy for UK and Irish visitors). Give Cape Town itself at least four/five nights. Although there are great beaches on the Atlantic seaboard the water is cold. Whilst you could visit the Winelands from CT, I recommend staying there for at least 2/3 nights. There is a lot more than wine to the Winelands. To give you a less urban feel after CT I would suggest Franschhoek although there are excellent wineries and restaurants around Stellenbosch as well. More wine can be found in the Robertson area and this will serve as the gateway to the R62 which could be usefully visited as far as Oudtshoorn. With only the two weeks, a full scale visit to the Garden Route around Knysna may not be possible - there are some great beaches and warmer water there. If you don't want to drive huge distances everyday then give yourself a one night stop going back to CT at perhaps Swellendam

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Garden Route
Garden Route
106 Reviews
Knysna
Knysna
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

More idea of your budget and tastes would help us in giving more specific advice. As well as the TA site itself of course check out www.sa-venues.com for accomodation and www.eatout.co.za for restaurants

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

Hi - I see you like to get off the beaten track. Very easy to do in South Africa. That was part of my remit for my second trip to the cape a year ago. 2 weeks doesn't give you a lot of time though.

The garden route is spectacular but very touristy.

Other less touristy places to consider would be the West Coast - fantastic beaches, but sea VERY cold. Have a look at Paternoster and Ah Guest House for excellent food.

Wellington makes a change from the more usual Stellenbosch/Franschhoek (but I would definitely visit these - you can be the pregnant driver)

For spectacular scenery have a look at the Cederberg area

I would do at least 4 days in Cape Town, if you haven't visited before

Hope this gives you some ideas. Have a look on TA and most regions/towns in the Cape have their own very good websites. So have a surf....

Other good places to look for accommodation are

www.greenwoodguides.com

www.portfoliocollection.com

Hope this gives you some more ideas

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Cape Town
Cape Town
Dublin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

Thanks all. I appreciate my post had little detail but after 16 horrible weeks of feeling incredibly ill being pregnant we simply haven't been able to do much research. Plus, we wanted to be guided by people who knew the area rather than a guide book.

We want to see stunning scenery, eat great food and most of all relax and unwind after a very stressful few months.

We'll definitely hire a car for the two weeks.

It sounds like I should spend about 4 days in Capetown and then 2 days in the wine region - I'll have a look at the areas you suggested. That leaves us with 8 days left.

On doing some research we would like to do some of the Garden Route - can anyone recommend a relaxing itinerary for the Garden Route from the wine region which brings us back to Capetown?

As I mentioned before I don't want to spend all our time in a car trying to see everything and would rather spend more time in fewer places to soak up local atmosphere. I know it's where all the tourists are so if anyone knew of places which were away from the crowds that would be ideal.

Request for advice on:

1. Things not to miss in Capetown (restaurants, places of interest to see)

2. Somewhere to stay in the wine region (budget €100 - €150 per room per night)

3. A relaxed itinerary for the Garden Route & places to stay (budget €100 - €150 per room per night)

Dublin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

Ok so I've done a bit more research...

-Cape Town-5 nights

-Franschoek or stellensboch-2/3 nights in one place only. Very mixed opinions from the forum between these two places. Have you any recommendations? Then take the R62...

-Oudtshoorn - 2 nights

-Knysna or Plettenburg Bay-3 nights. (7 hour drive back to Capetown)

What are your thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Knysna
Knysna
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

Given your previous comments I suggest that the drive from Knysna back to CT in one day may perhaps be too much. I suggest that you stop at Swellendam for a night to break up the journey

Between Franschhoek and Stellenbosch is a very difficult choice. Personally I would opt for the more village vibe of Franschhoek but there are some fantastic restaurants, accomodation and of course wineries around Stellenbosch which is a much larger town with a big university population and is predominantly Afrikaan speaking as far as the white population goes.

If I may so you are trying to do too much in the timeframe - A couple of more nights are needed for your itinerary

Mentioned in this post
Knysna
Knysna
Swellendam
Swellendam
Overberg District, South Africa
Franschhoek
Franschhoek
Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
Dublin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

Thanks for your advice. What would you suggest I leave out?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice for Capetown in February 2010

Hi Nelly22

I think your itinary is ok - as you have lots of longer stays. I find packing and unpacking suitcases more tiring than driving! You just need to find an extra night to split up the drive from Knysna to Cape Town. Belfast's recommendation of Swellendam is a good one.

Maybe do just 2 nights in the winelands (by the way I am a Stellenbosch fan !),

4 nights in Cape Town, or just I night in Oudtshoorn.

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Knysna
Knysna
Cape Town
Cape Town
Swellendam
Swellendam
Overberg District, South Africa
Stellenbosch