We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location to stay in the city in early March

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Scarborough
Level Contributor
748 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Best location to stay in the city in early March

Want to find reasonable accomodation, will be happy with BB with pool, may still have car so this may be a consideration. When I visited CT before I stayed near the gardens, I think the hotel overlooked it , can t remember the name. Probably wanting a different location with restaurants we can walk to - does nt need to be near waterfront as long as not a long taxi ride. Ending the holiday here as I want to do afternoon tea at the Nelson and maybe a bit of retail therapy.

Thanks in advance

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

My two children and I stayed at a wonderful guesthouse, 51 on Kloofnek, when we visited Cape Town in October. It has a garden with a pool and a view straight up to the Table Mountain. The hosts are great, you'll love it there!

http://www.51onkloofnek.co.za/

Scarborough
Level Contributor
748 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

Anneb

thanks for the suggestion will take a look at that, have had a couple of sorry we re full so any other suggestions welcome please.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

If you want good value B&B accommodation with a pool have a look at Blackheath Lodge http://www.blackheathlodge.co.za/

Alternatively consider a cottage in de Waterkant - several have their own plunge pools and all are very close to several restaurants www.dewaterkantcottages.com will give you some ideas.

Scarborough
Level Contributor
748 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

Thanks macsym

The Blackheath looks nice but as we re going end Feb its a bit too expensive. 1450 and finding a single is not much cheaper .

Has already started to look at the apartments, as recommended elsewhere on this site I think. Are they spread over a whole area. I was a bit unsure. Will revisit the website.

What do you think about the Tamboerskloof or Oranjezicht area please

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

Ponymad - Tamboerskloof or Oranjezicht is not too near the waterfront. O.k. you can take a RIKKIS cab for only R35 to the waterfront p.p so thats cheap - its a similar area you stayed at before.(gardens) Look at Sea Point or Green Point - you should find something cheaper in the area. Only thing is if youre wanting a pool it will prob. be more expensive. What do you call reasonable?.

Afternoon tea at the Nellie is pricey - retail therapy - you might still be lucky with sales in Feb.

Scarborough
Level Contributor
748 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

Hi Divacape

Yes I reckon you may be right about Seapoint and have a few emails out to GH in the area. decided against de Waterkant as we ll be there in the Capetown Pride festival.

Cost wise wanted maximum for single room 750/800 and twin room about 1300.

Thought the area was about same, some have said very hilly?

We will only have 2 nights so can use cabs.

Have booked the tea.!

do you know if Yindees thai in the area is stil good we went there last time or I think there is an Ocean Basket.

The last night may try Opal Lounge.

If you have any specific suggestions on the GH/BB most welcome. Looking at Trevoyan which looks quite good . Thanks for your input

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

Hi,

The rooms at Antrim Villa, Green Point are very nice, also their sister Guesthouse Bickley House, Sea Point. Double/twins in the region of R850 and you could possibly make a deal for a single.

There are saltwater pools at both Guesthouses.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

Hi,

The Ocean Basket in Kloof Street is great. Wonderful platters and excellent service. Their Courtyard has been upgraded and is lovely on a hot summer day.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

Loads of restaurants up and down Kloof Street, just across the road from where you would be staying. Far too many for just 2 nights!

I would definitely eat at the Opal Lounge, a great dining experience that I am sure you will all love. 15 mins walk down Kloof Street - but possibly take a taxi back because it's steeply uphill! For the second night the Ocean Basket would be OK (with, as TG says) a lovely rear courtyard. Good value but nothing special. Yindees again is fine but no better than lots of Thai restaurants in the UK - and not a patch on Cape Town's best Thai restaurant, Kitima, which is a long taxi ride away in Hout Bay.

But if you only have one more night why not eat in what is, about the favourite restaurant in Cape Town with visitors on TripAdvisor. Millers Thumb is currently rated number 1 on TA and is just 250 metres walk from the Trevoyan. If you like fish a far better experience than the Ocean Basket - and good meat dishes too.

Edited: 22 January 2010, 15:31
Scarborough
Level Contributor
748 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best location to stay in the city in early March

VdeC and Tourist Guide

Thank you.....

Millers Thumb looks great and will do this I m sure , and you have reassured me that Trevoyan will be a fine location... I did think so from my previous visit to CT, but is nearly 5 yrs ago... How time flies!?

I have looked at B House but they were full and offered A Villa. So second reserve with your recommendation.

Happy too that Opal Lounge is not too far away...BTW do either of you know the name of the hotel fronting the Gardens I could have stayed in last time? I will have got the recommendation from prob TA. Not like me but although it was nt great it was a good location

Thanks again.

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central