We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private drivers?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Private drivers?

I will going to Cape Town with a friend in early April and we were doing if doing day trips with a private driver would be a good idea/somewhat affordable?

We'd like to visit Cape Point, the vineyards, maybe Hermanus (even though we know we likely won't see any whales).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private drivers?

mcbg,

you can self drive all these places in a rental car. in order of cost, the following upgrades would be available from the self drive option:

1. group tours with hylton ross or thompsons

2. private tour with hylton ross or thompsons

3. private tour with a really high end company whose guides are college educated or have equivalent experience like tours and trails. http://toursandtrails.co.za/

hermanus is about 100 km from cape town. franschhoek is about 90 minutes.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private drivers?

Hello mcbg1

There are 2 sites that you can visit.

www.4taxi.co.za

or www.kesterelservices.co.za and visit a trip report of a similar trip tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312659-i9466-k330…

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private drivers?

mcbg,

capetownfan gave you a link to www.4taxi.co.za - this is operated by Sean Casey and he took us on a Winelands tour last week.

I can highly recommend him to you, we were with him from 8am until 8.45pm when he dropped us off at the airport for our flight home.

We had already given him a list of the wine farms we wanted to visit but ended up spending 3.5 hours at our lunch stop so had to drop 2 of the wineries. He found a shady spot and waited for us to have lunch and even checked our flight status on line.

He uses a comfortable 7 seater which has aircon and according to his website currently charges R1450 per day for the vehicle and driver for 1-2 people. We were a party of 5 so the cost per person was very good value.

If you do go to the Winelands I can also recommend Guardian Peak for lunch - we booked a table online a few weeks prior to our visit - as previously mentioned we spent a long time there, we ended up having the wine pairing menu plus desert and coffee rather than a quick lunch!

I think that the beauty of doing a 'private' tour is flexibility and I would prefer to drive rather than do an 'organised' tour, however you will know what suits you best within your budget.

I hope that this info is of help in deciding what to do.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private drivers?

Agree that Sean Casey and John Farthing (Kestrel Cars) are both excellent and I have used them both. John takes us to the airport 4 or 5 times a year. He is unfailingly on-time, confirms by SMS the previous evening and always checks flight times, in or out. He uses a smaller vehicle - a new Mercedes Saloon - so Sean would be better for 4 or more people.

If you don't want to drive yourself around the winelands either of these would be great. For two people about the same cost as a bus tour (R670pp) - for more than 2 much cheaper. As alibaba says MUCH more flexibility and a totally different and better experience. Other tours I would drive yourself.

Edgware
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Private drivers?

Is it necessary to have a private driver or are the sites suitably marked around Cape Town. I understand the need for a driver for the wine region if you want to take a tipple.

charles and mandy

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Private drivers?

Hi C&M

There is no need to have a private driver. Car hire is cheap and readily avaiable (book through a UK Internet site such as www.holidayautos.co.uk or www.carhire3000.com ). For anyone coming from the UK the road system is easy to navigate. Roads are good, Traffic is less than most UK cities - and certainly MUCH quieter than London! Of course we drive on the left, road signs are basically the same (and in English). Parking around the city is either free or very cheap and readily available. A parking problem in Cape Town is if you take more than 2 mins to find a place or have to walk more than 50 metres from where you are going!

I think mcbg was specifically planning to use a private driver. Maybe they didn't want to drive on the left ;-)

Edited: 14 March 2010, 08:35
7. Re: Private drivers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 13:40
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Private drivers?

...and it depends on whether you come to see or experience.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private drivers?

Anyone....is thompsons a good company in your opinion?

Capensis is not a fan of selfdrive I see, :)

Edited: 14 March 2010, 17:55
Edgware
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Private drivers?

Thanks for all the help!!!