We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CT and Garden Route trip - help from TA experts please

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
reading, uk
Level Contributor
19 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
CT and Garden Route trip – help from TA experts please

We are in Cape Town for just over 2 weeks from 2nd April. Our original intentions were CT and Garden Route, but R62 now looks very interesting as well. And after checking TA for some months we have a pretty good idea about what to do, but need still some help. This is what we have so far, all but the 1st 4 days are possible to change, and we have a hire car from arrival:

Day 1 -3 CT - Staying at Atlantic Affair in Seapoint. Our thoughts are to hope for good weather try and get to Table Mountain, Robben Island plus some other attractions. How busy will these places be over Easter? Then when we return to CT area and the end of our trip, use Camps or Hout Bay area to relax a little and catch the Pennisula attractions or Table Mountain etc if we missed them on arrival.

Day 4 R62 -Montagu (en-route to Plettenburg Bay). Staying at Montagu Vines

Day 5 Should we break the journey to PB stopover between Montagu & PB. But where?

Day 6 to 10 PBay as a base for beach, Garden Route, Knysna, Storm River etc. Staying at Thanda Vista

Day 11 – 12 Oudtshoorn?? – Accommodation not booked

We are not sure what to do here, stay 2 nights in Oudtshoorn or take a different route back to CT and break the journey. Any suggestions appreciated.

Day 12 – ??

Day 13 – Stellenbosch or Franschoek. We are OK with this bit, just need to find some to stay

Day 14 – 15 CT. Last 3 days in CT to do what we missed on arrival. Stay i Camps Bay if we can, but Hout Bay as an alternative.

Day 16 – CT and evening flight back to the UK

Thanks in advance, when we get back I promise to do a trip report

Kevin & Lynda

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CT and Garden Route trip – help from TA experts please

I dont think it is necessary to stop overnight between Montagu and Plett, particularly as you intend to return to Oudsthoorn.

Yes stay the 2 nights in Oudtshoorn you could then drive via the Swartberg Pass (or the equally attractive De Rust route) to Prince Albert and then carry on via the N1 to Stellenbosch/Franschoek, where I would also spend 2 nights.

If however you wanted to return back along the R62 then I would suggest doing the round trip (in an anti clockwise direction) to Prince Albert while staying at Oudsthoorn.

Hope that helps!

reading, uk
Level Contributor
19 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CT and Garden Route trip – help from TA experts please

Thanks macsym, it looks like about a 5 hour drive - correct? We will go with your suggestion.

Kevin & Lynda

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CT and Garden Route trip – help from TA experts please

Hi, MacSym is correct, stay Oudtshoorn 2 nights.

Montagu to Plett is a bit of a drive, but doable in a day.

You are doubling up/zigzagging a bit, but seeing as you have already booked many places, there is not much you can do about that.

the gardenroute actually is only from Mossel Bay to Titsikamma way, so doesn't include anything on the coast earlier on between MB and CT.

2 nights in Oudtshoorn then onto Hermanus (first bit R62 and then over Tradoux Pass through Swellendam to Hermanus.)

My better option is Franschoek.

reading, uk
Level Contributor
19 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CT and Garden Route trip – help from TA experts please

Thanks for reply and advice, one more question - do you think we need to book accomodation in the GArden Route between 6th and 14th April. Could we identify preferred B&B's and have a little flexibility and book when we are there?

Thanks Kevin & Lynda

5. Re: CT and Garden Route trip – help from TA experts please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central