We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

De Waterkant neighborhood?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Dubai
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
De Waterkant neighborhood?

Hi:

I am currently planning a trip to Cape Town and the really large number of B&B options has me confused.

We will be going with kids and want to stay close to the V&A Waterfront. Research turned up a neighborhood (De Waterkant) that seems ideal - its close to the waterfront and not too expensive and not purely residential.

But, there isn't much on this neighborhood on the forums and I'd love to hear your opinions on whether this is a good place to stay in and if there are any particular areas that are preferred or to be avoided.

Thanks (in advance)

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: De Waterkant neighborhood?

There have actually been several posts on de Waterkant (they do come up if you do a search).

It is a very convenient place to stay as it is within walking distance of the city centre and also the V&A. It is quaint, historic, trendy area with narrow cobbled streets, built on a hillside many of the properties offer great views of the harbour and Bay and or Table Mountain.

It is very safe and well patrolled by security 24 hours.

It is also very close to lots of shops and restaurants and there is a vibrant day and night life.

There are a number of companies renting out cottages - see for example www.dewaterkantcottages.com.

I live in the area so if you want to ask more specific questions I will reply as best I can. Personally I think Loader Street offers the best location as it is the highest street and just slightly further away from all the action of the 'village' as the area is also refered to. There is on street parking and some of the properties have their own garages.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: De Waterkant neighborhood?

Agree completely with MacSym - De Waterkans is now officially our favourite area in Cape Town and will undoubtedly be where we choose to stay on our next visit.

It's got a wonderful vibe

Dubai
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: De Waterkant neighborhood?

Thanks!!! I have a couple of questions:

1. What is "walking distance" from V&A? I have a couple of little ones, so I'd like to know what they are in for

2. Is it easy to get taxis in this neighborhood? If we rent a car, is it easy to find parking at V&A, City Center, Table Mountain etc?

3. What about Hill St or Strand St? I can't find Hill on the map and Strand seems like it is quite far (on the other end of the neighborhood) for being in walking distance.

Thanks again - this is awesome!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: De Waterkant neighborhood?

1. probably 15 to 20 minutes. With little ones it is not perhaps the easiest of walks, some main roads to cross over.

2. You can not hail a cab in the street. However, you can phone for a Rikkis on one of their phones from Andiamo's ( a local cafe) or phone for a local taxi eg Marine taxis which are just along the road in Green Point.

3. Strand Street runs past the southern edge of de Waterkant and into the city centre it is downhill into the city and takes about 10 minutes but again you will have several roads to cross.

How old are your children? - some of the streets in de Waterkant are quiet steep and the traffic can be a bit hectic at times. I guess it would be something of a nightmare with a push chair. You might be better off in somewhere like Mouille Point / Sea Point where you have wide promenades and perhaps easier access to the V & A???

Ohio
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: De Waterkant neighborhood?

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question, so I thought it would OK to add it here, rather than start a new thread.

We will be in Cape Town the 3rd week in March. I too am considering a self catering apartment in the De Waterkant area (Soho) and also one in the Fresnaye area. Is Fresnaye part of Seapoint? I don't have the street address but have this location info:

Lat: 33, 55’ 2.19 S

Long: 18, 23’ 35.59 E

Is this a good area?

Both apartments look great for our needs & wants. The Fresnaye one has a few more amenities and is a little more expensive.

In trying to make a decision, what can you tell me about the 2 areas? How do they compare? My sister and I are the travelers, so safety is a consideration, along with a convenient location. We will have a car and I think both places have secured parking.

I've read both Frommers & Fodors comments about the various neighborhoods and was a little concerned about the Frommer's comments, but then again, I know sometimes these types of comments can be outdated.

Below are the Frommer's Seapoint comments that concerned me in reference to the Fresnaye location. Having never been to Cape Town before, it's a challenge to get a good handle on the neighborhood differences.

"De Waterkant, Mouille Point, Green Point & Sea Point - These border the Waterfront and are close to the city, with a number of value-for-money options. De Waterkant, in particular, is so close its accommodations are listed under "City Bowl;" the neighborhood has evolved into the city's most chichi shopping area, with cobbled streets and a gorgeous square (Cape Quarter) surrounded by restaurants. The Mouille Point and Sea Point beachfront has been largely ruined by the construction of dense high-rise apartments, and pockets along Sea Point's Main Road are hangouts for hookers and drug dealers. This area used to be the heart of Cape Town's nightlife and is experiencing a slow but sure comeback. You'll find a number of excellent restaurants on Main Road, but be careful after dark."

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Edited: 19 January 2010, 18:17
Londonderry
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: De Waterkant neighborhood?

Hi, just back from SA today.

Spent five nights in De Waterkant, staying with De Waterkant Cottages at 169 De Waterkant Street. It was fantastic, had it's own garage so the car was safe, and cool for any outings. Apartment had everything, large and spacious and clean, couldn't fault it in any way. Staff were also fantastic.

The area itself was quiet and peaceful and no matter what time you looked out from the balcony you could always see security officers patrolling. We felt absolutely safe day and night. There are plenty of bars, cafes, restaurants and shops in the area, especially in Cape Quarter, a large centre in the De Waterkant village. It was a ten minute walk for us to either the V & A, or Long Street in the centre of town. We used taxis from Elite or Marine taxis back and forward to V & A at night at a cost of around 50rand round trip including tip, very reasonable!

Would definately recommend it and wiould go back ourselves without any hesitation

7. Re: De Waterkant neighborhood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2010, 07:18