We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loose Diamonds

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Ontario
1 post
Save Topic
Loose Diamonds

Hi,

I will be in Capetown for Indaba and am interested in buying a few loose diamonds.

Can anyone recommend some trustworthy diamond merchants/wholesalers?

Thanks

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loose Diamonds

Yes I can - send me a pm - "private message" and I will give you a dealer's name

Marlboro
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loose Diamonds

Hello - can you send me the details of a diamond dealer as well.

Thx

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loose Diamonds

Me too Diva!

Miami, Florida
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Loose Diamonds

and me? please?

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
901 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Loose Diamonds

Gemini Diamonds.

They have been making "pieces" for people like Harry Belafonte; Graca Mandela etc........

…gopassport.com/go/…gemini-diamonds

Edited: 18 March 2010, 15:35
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loose Diamonds

Send me a private message with your real names and contact details and i will let youhave his name and details. He is a diamond dealer. He doesnt make pieces and sell them - only deals in wholesale diamonds.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loose Diamonds

I'd rather trust someone that is happy to have their name made public.

But then, I don't know much about diamonds - cut, colour, carat, clarity.....

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loose Diamonds

You dont have to worry about it Peter - as you say you dont know anything about diamonds and when one deals with a wholesaler as opposed to a retailer its not something that one wants brandied about. However, whomever wants to deal with retailers is welcome to do so. This is just a favour I am doing for the t/a client who doesnt want to be ripped off by the retailer.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Loose Diamonds

I have always bought stones from Uwe Koetter Jewellers. They offer a remarkable service and don’t have to break the bank.

Because of the customs restrictions, I always found them to be very helpful in advising the best way to get any stones back home with the correct authentic documentation. Get this wrong and you could end up with a hefty customs bill when you arrive back home.

You must steer clear of anyone who wants to give the name of a dealer. They receive up to 20% commission and ultimately YOU are going to be paying for it.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loose Diamonds

And then of course the best way of checking whether or not the person is getting a commission is to compare apples with apples - actually diamonds with diamonds - get the clarity and the size etc and compare and then you will know where you are getting your best price. Uwe Koetter is a fabulous jeweller - he makes wonderful pieces of jewellery but is very expensive. However whomever wants to go wherever they want to go its entirely up to them at the end of the day.