We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget honeymoon - itinerary and accomm advice please!!

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Budget honeymoon - itinerary and accomm advice please!!

Hi,

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon to SA in very late October to mid November this year (2 weeks). We are ideally looking for small B&B/Gueshouse acccommodation under R800 per room (preferably more like R600).

We are thinking of an itinerary along these lines:

4 nights Cape town

Hire a car....

2 nights wine region (stellenbosch?)

1 night ?oudtshorn

2 nights around Kysna

2 nights Addo

2 nights east london area

We will then be getting a train to Johannesberg from East London for our final night there before flying home to the UK.

What do you think of this itinery? We had initially wanted to go up to kwazulu-natal because we love snorkeling but I don't think we realistically will have enough time. Does anyone know if there are any good snorkeling places on this route? Will the water be very cold in very early november?

Also, please can anyone recommend any accommodation options on route. In particular in Cape town...looking at trip advisor I thought Camps Bay might be a good place to be but we can't afford accommodation there so we'll probably look out further afield...are places like Hout Bay, Simon's Town and Bloubergrant too far out to easily get into the city? Do they have plenty of restaurants etc if we stayed there? We'd like quite accommodation near the sea, not really in the middle of the city but so that we can get into the city ok....don't ask for much do we?!!

Thank you for your help!

V

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget honeymoon - itinerary and accomm advice please!!

I would suggest you skip your 2 nights in East London, and fly from Port Elizabeth to JNB and connect with your flight home - that also saves you a night in Johannesburg. That gives you 3 extra nights in perhaps the Knysna area - but if you want 'beach' Plettenberg Bay would be better

The sea around Knysna/Plettenberg Bay will be warm - but not in Cape Town.

There are several restaurants in Hout Bay and Blouberg but if you stay in these places you will need to have a car (although by October there should be a new bus service from Blouberg to the city) Outside of rush hour it is a 20 min car journey.

Edited: 15 February 2010, 14:39
Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget honeymoon - itinerary and accomm advice please!!

That's great, thanks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to stay nearish to port elizabeth for the final night(s) of our honeymoon?

3. Re: Budget honeymoon - itinerary and accomm advice please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 20:35
Edited: 22 February 2010, 20:35
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget honeymoon - itinerary and accomm advice please!!

We visited South Africa in late October early November last year. We went for 18 nights and stayed in some excellent guest houses around and under R800. The best website I found for searching accomodation was SA-Venues.

Some places we stayed at under R800 are:

Stellenbosch - Malans. A 4* guest house. Double room with a small conservatory area which opened directly onto a small swimming pool (it will be chilly though!). In a smart residential area and only a short walk into the town centre.

Outshoorn - Yot Club. Excellent guest house with large gardens and great sunsets over the river. We upgraded to an outside room but there are cheaper rooms in the main house.

Plettenburg Bay - Moonshine on Whiskey Creek (they have their own website). Log cabins in the forest a few miles out of Plettenburg Bay. There is also free use of a tree top jacuzzi. Very quiet romantic setting...ideal for a honeymoon!

Not surprisingly there are far less properties in your price range in Cape town. Top of our list for a long time was La Rose in the Bo-Kaap which has some excellent reviews. Other places we considered were Rose Lodge (same street as La Rose) and 17 Loader in De Waterkant. In the end as we found some excellent deals elsewhere we decided to spend a bit more in Cape Town.

Even if you go over budget a bit in Cape Town you should be able to find excellent 3 & 4* guest houses for an everage cost of less than R800 per night.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget honeymoon - itinerary and accomm advice please!!

Macsym - I just noticed your comments about the sea being warm at Plettenburg. That was not the word that sprung to mind when I dipped a toe in November!!

6. Re: Budget honeymoon - itinerary and accomm advice please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 05:17