We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of baggage restrictions

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
nj
Level Contributor
533 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of baggage restrictions

My husband and I booked a trip through South African Vacations. Our agent booked all the flights and we were told we were allowed 2 bags each. Turns out the 1 flight back to joburg from Sabi Sands is on FedAir and will only allow 1 piece per person.

We are so upset because there were different flight options we could have booked but she didn't inform us of this information prior to booking.

We wanted to pack a box of wine and check as a piece of luggage and now can't do that!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of baggage restrictions

I take at least 2 international and 2 local flights each month. It is a s confusing for me as well. I always take 2 pieces of hand luggage on board...ie. my laptop and my "bag of information"(lol..that's what i call it anyway).

The confusion is that in Zimbabwe you are required to remove shoes, belt, hat....etc. In South Africa ...not. Sometimes you are allowed to take water on board....sometimes not.

In Johannesburg the scanner sometimes works and other times not......i know this because some of my people, who have "implants" pass through with no prblems but when they fly home from Cape Town ...."the alarm bells go off".

Last week we got onto the aircraft with about 10 bottles of Iodine.......no questions asked.

I advise according to the latest rule......1 carry-on. No water...etc.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of baggage restrictions

Since when can you only take 1 carry on? I have always taken onto the plane my notebook and my handbag....or is handbag not classed as carryon?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of baggage restrictions

Each country does of course vary and even different airlines within each country vary. In the UK, until recently, there was a very strict one piece of carry-on baggage in force - which meant quite literally you could only take one oiece on board, Ladies handbags counted as one piece, so either you put it inside your other carry-on or you had to check one piece into the hold. Even now, some airlines, particularly charter flights still only permit one piece.

In the case of lara22377 the clue is of course the fact they were flying Fedair. they are different to virtually every other airline within SA in that the majority of their flights are to (or from) private airstrips in game reserves (like Sabi Sands) They only use small aircraft for these flights and of course the runway length is restricted so weight is crucial. As far as I know they have a restriction of 15 kg and this must be in "soft" bags, as opposed to rigid suitcases. This of course does not excuse their booking agent if she did not advise them of the restriction. Which only reinforces the advice that whether you book through an agent or 'do it yourself' always check your tickets and booking conditions.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of baggage restrictions

Somerset is right about FedAir. On flights up to the private reserves in Sabi Sands I think they fly Beechcraft 1900 planes (mayber even smaller). These are 19 seater planes with single seats. Just to give you an idea here is a link to a picture of the cabin on a 1900D. As you see there are no overhead racks - only the service ducts in the ceiling. You would have to fit anything you carry on under your seat which, because of the shape of the plane has very little space. As you say checked baggage is also restricted and I am sure these restrictions will be strictly enforced.

http://tinyurl.com/dcx2xb

Some of the planes used are even smaller. I would check directly with Fedair and tell them exactly the dimensions of the bags you want to take - and then adhere to what they say.

As everyone says the problem is with your agent not the airline. Probably one more reason why nowadays I always book all aspects of my vacations myself!

nj
Level Contributor
533 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of baggage restrictions

Well, the good news is that the agent is absorbing the cost and booking us on an earlier flight to joburg so we can apparently check our wine and store it at the airport. Has anyone used this service before? Hopefully, it's safe.

And wow...that plane does look small...I am assuming they are a safe airline, right? Not normally a fan of small planes!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of baggage restrictions

We flew Fed Air into Sabi Sands and took 2 hard suitcases, 2 large soft bags and my handbag! Perhaps we were just lucky?!

7. Re: Beware of baggage restrictions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 05:16