We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

What's nightlife like Sun thru Wed? My groups age ranging from 35-40.

Advanced Thanks!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Baia is great - we went there last night for dinner with my daughter from London (31 yrs) and we all enjoyed it.It might even be better as an evening place to have dinner. You could do lunch at the waterfront at SRVUGA (sushi) or Balducci's (salads, and hamburgers). I think Baia is worthwhile (especially seafood) but more for dinner than lunch. Go to The Grand - (right age group). Pigalle if you are men and women who enjoy dancing to jazz and a beautiful setting. La Perla restaurant is also very vibey in Sea Point and cocktails before. People in Cape Town go out for dinner mainly. Actually Sunday night go to Caprese in Camps Bay if you want a real loud noisy vibey place - people mainly in their 20-30's age group - drinks mainly. If that's what youre looking for then Sunday night is the night to go there - it gets packed out from about 7/7.30 p.m. and you can see the sun set too.!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Fabolous!! Thanks Again Diva!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Too bad Hemisphere (http://www.hemisphere.org.za/) isn't open on those days... Trendy cocktail bar/club in the ABSA building with great views over the city. But there are many other places to go... Any particular music or colour you are looking for?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Hi Jen-jer

Basically ZZ alluded to it in the last post but someone needs to give you an honest answer to your actual question.

During the week Cape Town closes down around 10:30pm and there is very little nightlife in the sense that a New Yorker or someone used to carribean or mediterranean resorts, that carry on until 3 or 4 in the morning (or later), would understand. Sure there are lots of restaurants and bars associated with restaurants, but, in the week these are emptying out by 10:30pm and the streets are getting quiet.

We go to the theatre or concerts in the city a few times a week and get out around 10:30-11. Once upon a time we used to look for somewhere to have a drink after the theatre - we even drive home through Camps Bay. If you can find a bar open there are likely to be 2 or 3 people in it - not exactly a lively party scene. Now we go home and have a brandy in our cocoa instead!

Yes there are a few night clubs in the more conventional sense but, as ZZ says, they tend only to open at weekends. Long Street has some bars which stay open a bit later but again, on a Tuesday or Wednesday night it's definitely not Greenwich Village or the East Village!

You know something is wrong when someone talks about "nightlife", as including sundowners. The sun sets now around 6:30pm! True party people are only just having breakfast at that time!

As there are so many things to do and places to go around the city during the day and in the early evening, during the week nighttimes are for sleeping! Pick your club on a Friday or Saturday night.

Edited: 04 March 2010, 08:18
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Thank you kindly for all the information everyone!!

It really helped!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Hey Zipping, We like all types of music ...just want to mix and mingle and maybe dance a little!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Hey VdeC whats wrong with my answer - it was the truth and you are forgetting that Jen Jen is in the age group 35-40 so i think she would prefer to be out and about than to have a brandy in her cocoa.!!!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

lol...........very tru Diva!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,094 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Hi Diva

I am not knoocking anybody or anything. And I don't think it has anything to do with age - well above 20! Where do you go at 11:00 on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night if you want to relax with a few other people for an hour or two and have a couple of drinks - with maybe some music? Restaurants definitely are closing but don't want anything to eat anyway. Everywhere we go to is either closed, closing up and putting chairs on the tables or there is one drunk guy sitting at the bar! As we drive back from the city through Camps Bay we started there but definitely nowhere I could recommend.

All suggestions welcome!

Edited: 10 March 2010, 18:49
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town Night Life Sun thru Wed?

Come on now VdeC - whats wrong with Pigalle on any night of the week or the new Grand at the waterfront- lots happening there !!!!!