We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headed to Cape Town on Monday

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Headed to Cape Town on Monday

We are so excited for our upcoming trip to South Africa. I'm looking for any information or recommendations. We are 2 couples in our 30's and upper 50's. We arrive in CT around 3:00 Monday and have planned a trip for a Winelands tour for Tuesday but we are looking for suggestions for Wednesday and Thursday as well as meals. I'm looking forward to relaxing some at the beach but also experiencing anything that we must do while there. Shark Diving sounds kind of exciting (but scary!). We are staying at the 12 Apostles if that helps. A friend recommended eating at Blues- is this a good place? After our 5 day stay in Cape Town we head to Hoedspruit for safari- I'm also trying to figure out what the weather will be like- coats/sweater weather or is it still hot?

Thank you in advance!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

It has been very hot here recently - 38c in Cape Town yesterday and last night we had electrical storms. It looks like this week may be a little damper and cooler but still in the mid 20s +, so it is going to be pleasantly warm.

I would not recommend Blues, for some time the restaurant has not been what it once was. Personally I do not think much of Azure at the 12 Apostles (although they do have a good sommelier). If you search on AT you will find lots of recommendations for restaurants, it depends rather on what you are looking for/enjoy. Likewise you will find so many 'attractions' to fill your 5 days. Have a look at 'things to do' as a start....Enjoy your stay!

PS Trust you are hiring a car!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

Salt restaurant in Bantry Bay (at the Ambassador Hotel) is currently good with spectacular views of the ocean. The last time I ate at Blues I had a great meal.

There are so many things to do in Cape Town. Shark diving is brilliant, Kirstenbosch Gardens is often overlooked & Robben Island is a must in my opinion but you need to pre-book this on their website (very easy).

Still hot in Cape Town & will be hot also in Hoedspruit area, light jumper only for emergencies I reckon.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

Neither Salt or Blues would be on my list. As you have to drive or get a taxi to go anywhere from the 12 Apostles I would drive up and over Kloof Nek into the city - only a couple of minutes more than Camps Bay or Bantry Bay.

Many really good current city restaurants to choose from. Could easily give you 30 or more but as you are only here a few days look at :

95 Keerom - Italian chef who does great food (NOT a trattoria!)

Aubergine* - sophisticated and quite expensive (for Cape Town). Now in the World’s top 100.

Bizerca Bistro – Great French food but possibly better as a lunch venue

Opal Lounge* – Some of the best dining in the city with stunning decor. For that "special" night out.

Savoy Cabbage – Elegant venue in converted historic building

Sevruga – Best with a view at Waterfront

Alternatively it is not much further to drive down through Hout Bay and then up over Constantia Nek to the very top rated Constantia Restaurants. Again too many to try but start with :

Bistro 1682 at Steenberg – Lovely new informal venue at Steenberg Wine Estate (lunch only)

Buitenverwachting – Best Lunch in Constantia Winelands good Dinner venue as well.

La Colombe* - Back in the world’s top 50 and it deserves it. Probably the cheapest restaurant in the World Top 50 list!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

Thank you so much! We were hoping to take public transportation or taxi's since we'll only be there for 4 nights. Are you guys suggesting we rent a car instead?

Edited: 08 March 2010, 12:49
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

Have you done the shark diving? If so, can you tell me a bit about it? I'd love to do it but I'm nervous that I'll hyperventilate down there!

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

Frankly there is no effective public transportation here (well there might be by the time of the world cup :)) but particularly given your location I strongly suggest you hire a car. The 12 Apostles is somewhat 'isolated'

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

Is it best to rent a car from the airport or somewhere else? We have transfers to the hotel from the airport. I'm a little nervous now- is the 12 Apostles not in a good area? We were going to stay at the Commodore but the 12 Apostles received better feedback. Should I try to switch it?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

Sara

The 12 Apostles is in a wonderful "area". It is on it's own, just across the road from the Ocean and right on the flank of the 12 Apostles Mountains towering right above. There is not another building in sight. This is it's great strength but, as macsym says it is also a weaknes because there is really nowhere you can get to without transport (unless you are a distance runner like macsym ;-)

So, either you need to book taxis to get anywhere (in both directions). There are normally no taxis at the hotel so you might have to wait 15 mins or so for one to come. So as macsym says the best is to hire a car. But then some of us would advise that you hire a car anyway. Cape Town is a pretty spread out city and the places you want to go and see are in different directions. As macsym says there is little public transport that fits in with what tourists want to do. The advice I always give is that you hire your car airport to airport. All the major International companies are there and, if you book through a car hire broker website you will get a car a much cheaper rates.

Normally you would save around R600 on airport transfer costs. If the 12 Apostles provide these free of charge then I would still ask if they will give you a discount if you don't use them.

But no need to change your hotel it is a wonderful location. Just reasess how you are going to get around.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

For a restaurant suggestion, have a look a this one. It's not a comfortable place for a lunch on a hot day but an excellent place for dinner.

You may arrive with your shoes in your hand...

…mydestinationinfo.com/en/the-grand-cafe-and…

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
222 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Headed to Cape Town on Monday

Sara,

Sounds like your doing the same tour as I will be in a few weeks (CT and Hoedspruit). I booked through Lion World Tours and they arrange the car to be dropped of at my hotel. I decided to rent after reading all thegreat things folks had on TA!

Jen