We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

Apologies to those who feel this forum should not include wine entries but then wine is a big part of Western cape tourism

Anyway I am looking for advice on this wine - a friend bought a case, tried one bottle and didn't like it with its 15% alcohol and huge structure to the wine which he descibed as more Californian than most Californian wines. The upshot is that he is willing to sell me the eleven bottles left for around £12 a bottle (30% discount)

From his description of the wine I have some doubts - has anyone tried it ?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

I have tasted it and I do agree that it is a very "Big" wine. Talking to the guys at Guardian Pealk it has been unashamedly made to "out Californian" the Californians - so your friend was spot on! They were very proud of it and I was impressed but ended up buying a few bottles of the 2006 Tannat/Malbec which I checked is "only" 14.5%!

As you know 15% (unfortunately?) is not unusual any more in SA reds. But it has been going on for some time. My Tiara 2002 is also 15% and it has developed beautifully. I even see that my 2006 Ansela VdeC is 15% and Muratie sees themselves as one of Stellenbosch's most traditional producers.

Would expect the 2007 Lapa would need a couple of years more to integrate the alcohol. But £12 a bottle is a good price (nowadays only R133pb). It currently retails on e-Wine for R194.99 pb or €24.25 on their German Site for European delivery

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

thanks VdC - unfortunately I am not the buyer's only friend so I think I will only get 4 bottles for £50 due to demand - still sounds a good buy

Now I've started I might as well go on !

Has anyone tried any of these wines

Iona SB 2009 (I have drunk previous vintages 07 was very good but 08 disappointing)

Warwick The Trilogy 2007 (not a wine I know at all)

Edited: 18 March 2010, 16:28
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

Hi BTM

Only too pleased to join in a wine thread! Yes I have tasted the Iona 2009, my local wine shop in Edinburgh has just got it in. Yes it's excellent and definitely better than the 2008. Just hoping for a good 2010 vintage!

I have tried the 06 Warwick Trilogy and would recommend. From memory it is mainly cab sauv with merlot and cab franc? Not tried the 07 though

Lisa

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

I agree with Lisa on the 2009 Iona. But then I have to say that, in such a good year for SB as 2009, the differences between the expensive, high reputation wines such as Iona, Cape Point or Steenberg and well made, much cheaper, examples is very difficult to determine.

My favourite 2009s include Diemersdal Standard at forty something a bottle, Nitida, the Sir Lambert I talked about to Lisa (my personal favourite) and, as always for value, Alexanderfontein. The 2009 Alexanderfontein SB at R33 a bottle is probably better than nearly all 2008s at any price. Sold in the UK as Tescos Darling SB.

Warwick always make good solid wines but maybe a bit overpriced. Have tasted quite a number of Trilogies over the years but not the 2007. A consistently good (excellent) Bordeaux Blend. A little higher in Cab Franc than most but not a bad thing, as their Cab Franc is IMO one of the very best single CF varietals

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

BTM - get along to Tesco quick. Their finest Darling sauvignon blanc, which you informed me is Alexanderfontein, is on offer for 2 for £10. Then if you buy 6, you get another 5% off. Bought 12 bottles this week!

I paid £11 for my Iona, which I think is pretty reasonable for a decent sauvignon blanc. Just out of interest Cloudy Bay is £17.99 in Waitrose - a rip off IMO and I much prefer Iona!

Lisa

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

BTM - I think perhaps Lisa & I are shopping in the same Edinburgh wine shops - had the 2009 Iona last week and bought in 6 more today to offer to my friends who are over for dinner tonight - very hospitable of me, even if I do say so myself.

Its a gorgeous SB, highly recomended - however agree with VdC also - lots of other great 2009 SB's available from South African wine makers.

Delighted to see that your trip is shaping up to be another chapter of "drinking your way around the Western Cape" - well done! ;-)

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

well Littlejohn someone has to do it (LOL)

Next time (2011) we will try to get to areas we have not really investigated before like Cederberg, Tulbagh and environs as well as the wineries of the Overberg.

Any specific recommendations for tasting always welcome

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
555 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

BTM - will be trying out the Overberg wineries and Cederberg in November!! Will let you know....already have VdC's winery recommendations in my holiday file!!

Lisa

9. Re: Guardian Peak Lapa Cab Sauvignon 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central