We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear!! Help Please!

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
nj
Level Contributor
532 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear!! Help Please!

Hi! My husband and I will be arriving in Cape town 1 week from today and I am having trouble packing!

Will it be warm enough for sundresses/beach during the days?

Are jeans and a shirt okay for going out at night?

Also, we will the be in Kruger...for our drives are long pants and a long sleeve shirt enough or will we need jacket/gloves, etc

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear!! Help Please!

Well.. your week last year was nice and warm. wunderground.com/history/…WeeklyHistory.htm

You can use that same site to see the weather for the same week in past years. Jeans at night? Some places yes. But this is a cosmopolitan city with plenty of restaurants where you might feel conspicuous. Long skirt, scarves.. maybe better. As for your safari days, you better have layers because early mornings and evenings will likely be cool enough to need jackets or sweaters at the least. Hat, too.

Edited: 25 March 2010, 02:55
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,975 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear!! Help Please!

Hi Lara - the weather in Cape Town is so tempermental. Yesterday it was a cool 18 deg. but apparantely in Wellington (an hour away ) it was boiling hot. Today is a rather cloudy and cool 21 deg. The weekend was a hot 28deg. You might get to the beach (hopefully) but i think sundresses might be a bit too cool. A sundress with a cardi maybe. You can definitely go to a casual restaurant during the week with jeans and a nice shirt. On a Sat. night i prefer to dress a little more. Nice pants and a nice top but definitely bring a cardigan or 2 and a lightweight jacket cause evenings are starting to get rather chilly. Its not winter yet so no winter woolies and if for some reason you are cold, the shops will have all their winter gear in by then. (thats cape town.) Dave has given you the kruger info.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear!! Help Please!

Hi Lara - I have holidayed in many places around the world and found Cape Toen to be amongst one of the most casual. I wore jeans out most nights, but then I do like to dress up so did push the boat out on occassion. I'd say wear whatever you feel comfortable in and yes I always pack too many clothes and shoes!!!

Lisa

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
899 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear!! Help Please!

I am in Kruger now. In the Southern parts. Last night i did a night drive and Sundowner snacks and got back at 8:00pm........in shorts and a golf shirt. The rest of the people were similarly dressed. It is very dry up here....you should be fine with light clothes.

Cape Town
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear!! Help Please!

Cape Town is very laid back and casual is fine in most places.

We are however in the change of season so it can be hot in the morning and cold in the afternoon or visa versa, so cater for four seasons :-)

Check the 7 day weather report before you leave, but thats also no guarantee.

Enjoy your visit!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
214 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear!! Help Please!

Just got back and wore dresses and was sleeveless the entire time...just carry around a sweater or light jacket!

7. Re: What to wear!! Help Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 05:16