We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to plett

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
best way to plett

We go to Plett almost every year and mostly take the same route along the N2 from Cape Town to Knysna via Riviersonderend, Riversdale etc and dont stop until we get to Knysna. Last time we stopped in the Wilderness. Occassionally we come back via Mossel Bay but then only stop there and on we go. Some time back i seem to recollect that either Macsym of VDEC suggested a route to Plett stopping in Places I had never been to. If you can remember where you posted it and repost it for me i will be pleased. Also we have never been from Plett to Jeffrey's Bay - has anyone and if so how long does it take.Thanks a lot Diva

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to plett

How about the R62? Its my favourite route - we always go via the Franschoek pass, Villiersdorp and then onto the R62 via Montagu, Barrydale, Ladismith, Calitzdopr, Oudtshoorn, George etc. It is longer, but the roads are quieter.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to plett

Last time I went (only as far as Wilderness) I went via Worcester, Robertson, stopped for lunch in Montagu, then via R62 as described by hatter. It is a 'longer route' but quiet and you can (dare I say) put your foot down and travel very fast! I passed very few cars.

I actually came back via Prince Albert and the N1 - if you have not experienced the Swartberg Pass then this is another option, although I thought the route via De Rust very attractive if you dont fancy the pass!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to plett

Agree about the R60/R62 as per my details by pm. Going to Plett you might want to be a bit further than Montagu for Lunch. Try Joubert-Tradouw wine estate near Barrydale, which has a really nice new deli/restaurant.

The Swartberg Pass and Prince Albert is certainly well worth doing. We were over there just over a week ago and, as macsym says, Meringspoort to de Rust is also spectacular but easier. On the road between De Rust and Prince Albert we also found an excellent new winery - Bergwater, who do a range of mostly red wines - very good and excellent value. We had a bottle of their Cab last night!

But remember that the drive to Cape Town on the N1 is then no better than the N2. In fact more trucks that way which can be tough on the nerves - and places like Langsburg and De Doorns can be slow.

Whichever way you go have a great holiday.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to plett

Hello Diva - We have just recently done the route to Plett from Capetown on the N2 for the first time in 5 years and to be quite honest we nearly died of boredom plus trying to keep out of the way of lorries - returning on the R62 was quite a different story - it was as always exceptionally beautiful and relaxing with very little traffic - Joubert-Tradouw is also our favourite lunch stop before stopping off in Montagu for a couple of nights

Edited: 15 April 2010, 11:40
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to plett

Divacape, the suggestion from hatter is, in my opinion, the best. I do this annually when we migrate to Plett for Xmas and then spend 3 days in Montagu. Try the R62...it's worth it...much better than either of the National Roads.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to plett

Thank you all for that advice - I will now pass it on to my drive - Hubby - and hope he will try the alternative route you suggest. Will let you know. At least we can get some nice wine for me to drink!

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to plett

Whats the quickest way from Cape Town to get to the R62 - where can we connect with it. Once went via Montagu and it took FOREVER> Fancy the lunch stop at Joubert-Tradouw - how far is it from Cape Town.?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to plett

Hi divacape

Just beyond Swellendam +-10km there is a turnoff to Barrydale, it goes through a stunning Mountain Pass. I think it is the Tradouw Pass.

http://www.joubert-tradauw.co.za/location.php

Edited: 15 April 2010, 20:03
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to plett

capetown fan -Thanks for the website - the lemon meringue cheesecake looks divine. I emailed them to find out if they are open on a saturday for lunch. If its 3 hrs from cape town then it makes more sense to stop there on the way home otherwise we will arrive there at tea time for lunch if we stop on the way there.

10. Re: best way to plett

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 06:18