We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuck in Cape Town.

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
london
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stuck in Cape Town.

hope everyone who is stuck over there is manageing ok.

Edited: 18 April 2010, 12:47
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

and what a lovely place to be stuck.

I hope the situation improves soon though.

England
Level Contributor
93 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

Wish I was stuck in Cape Town!!!!!!!!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

Me too, but I will be back!!

Stalybridge, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

We left Cape Town on Wed lunchtime for our long journey back to Manchester, travelling SAA to Johannesburg and then Swiss to Manchester via Zurich.

We arrived in Zurich very early Thurs morning to find our onward flight to Manchester had been cancelled (we were unaware of what had been happening as we had been in the air all night). We managed to get the last two seats on the last flight to London before all flights were stopped. Our luggage didn't make it and is still missing (we think it is in Zurich).

So we arrived in London City airport with no luggage, wearing only t shirts (our jackets were in the missing luggage) and no transport arranged to get us from London back home to Cheshire.

Still, we are so grateful to the lady at the Swiss transfer desk in Zurich Airport for getting us onto that last flight-there were about 10 other people at the gate who were also on standby who didn't get onto the flight. We would have still been stuck in Zurich airport now if it wasn't for her.

So, we're relieved that we aren't stranded in Zurich, but we wouldn't have minded being stuck in Cape Town-we didn't want to come home.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

My friend was due to fly to George via JNB on Thursday evening. Her flight was originally cancelled so she rebooked at the ridiculous price of £1350 (economy) to fly on Sunday (18th) only to find that flight cancelled as well. She has gotten her refund, and decided to cancel her holiday altogether. She now has 3 weeks to fill in England :(

So while some are stuck in Cape Town, others are unable to get there. Bad news all round really, apart from the residents near Heathrow who must be celebrating previously unknown silence!

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

Well ... I enjoyed a PEACEFUL bbq yesterday ... in the sun ... with NO Heathrow planes flying overhead ... of course I hope it improves too for everyone's sake, but yesterday's quiet sky was definately nice for a change !!

london
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

my daughter went over for a 2 week holiday and can't get home. she is due to fly to Doha then on to london but the carrier will not allow her to do the Doha part, not sure why there is no volcano ash over Doha. she really needs to be home for work and other commitments, she can't very well go far form her accommodation as she needs to be near the airport just in case!!!! so not enjoying it very much. I think if she was told to go off for a week then come back , yes she would have a great time but not hanging around waiting to hear from the carriers. mind you i doubt i would be complaining lol!!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

With the backlog, they are not going to say - come to the airport we are taking off in 2 hours! I am sure it will be at least 24 hours notice. Qatar Airways probably don't have a plane sitting in Cape Town so she should just make sure the airline has her cellphone number and then go off and enjoy her (forced) extended holiday. There are masses of places to go to within a few hours drive of Cape Town.

Presumably if they flew her to Doha they are then committed to accommodating and feeding her there until they can fly on, or for at least a minimum of 3 days. And they have connecting passengers from all over Asia and Africa flying on to Europe. So I can see why they would prefer to leave her in Cape Town! And, having worked for many years around the Gulf, I know where I'd like to be stranded- lol!

london
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

hopefully with the opening up of the skies arounf UK it will not be long now.

10. Re: Stuck in Cape Town.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 07:17