We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

Hi Everyone

Does anybody have an idea of how much a cab/taxi would cost from Cape Town train station to Milnerton on a Friday afternoon.

And do I pick up a cab from outside the train station or do I pre book?

If I have to pre book with someone.....any suggestions?

Big thanks

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

Hi TravelmanBasingstoke

It should be in the region of R150- R200.

It is a long suburb.

Edited: 25 April 2010, 17:57
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

Hi,

Unicab taxis (tel. 021-4861600) are reliable. They charge between R120 and R160 depending on the drop-off location in Milnerton.

Marine taxis charge between R200 and R250 (most expensive).

Rikkis taxis (www.rikkis.co.za) charge R165.

As you will be travelling on a Friday afternoon and traffic could be heavy,

suggest you negotiate a fixed quote when you call the cab which you should

do a few hours before arrival at your pick-up point.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

There are a number of different types of "Taxi" in South Africa. If you arrive at Cape Town station and ask someone where you can get a "Taxi" you will, most probably, be directed to a huge area on the upper level where shared minibus taxis depart. To use these you have to have a understanding of the Taxi Culture - not a good idea if you just arrived in the city! This is probably not what you mean by a "cab". As TG says these are run by specific companies and offer excellent service. However as TG says you must book in advance - even for a station pickup.

There is a third type of taxi run by individual operators that might pick you up outside the station. Many of these are in poor condition, and many even unlicensed. So you would have no cover in the event of an accident.

TG has suggested three good companies to pre-book. You could add Excite and Sport and quite a few more as well as some very good small chauffeur drive operations.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

Excite is great and affordable 021-448444, will be about 160 - depending on where in Milnerton you'd like to be... ? Do you arrive per train? Otherwise (and even then) I can recommend walking a bit on to Long Street where you should be more likely to find a reputable meter taxi (agree with comments above to go for a decent company, like Excite, Sport, Unicab, etc). The main (meter) taxi stand is next to the Grand Parade. Go up the escalators, walk towards Parliament, turn left into Darling street. You will see it on your left (alternatively walk through the building before Darling that has a sign that reads "game", go through it and exit on the other side. Again, better to go out turn right into Darling, quickly check out the taxis parked there. If you don't like it, walk past the (lovely) St George's Cathedral until you reach Long Street and try your luck there.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Ronald

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

Hi,

The easiest way is to get a taxi in front of the Station - to walk with luggage is a slog.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

As a matter of interest, why do you want to go to Milnerton?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

Thanks everyone for the advice.

macsym. I have friends in Milnerton where I will stay the night. Because they are busy people with little ones I would rather ask all the knowledgable & friendly people on TA

T Man

8. Re: Cab from CT train station to Milnerton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 05:15