We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay in Cape Town for food?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
74 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
What area to stay in Cape Town for food?

We will be arriving on Christmas Day next year for a 4 night stay in Cape Town. We will have a car to get around to the touristy activities but would like to stay in an area within walking distance or a quick cab ride of lots of restaurants/bars for the evening. Budget is about 1500 rand per night, so it seems like most of the places around the Waterfront are out because they're a little pricier.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay in Cape Town for food?

De Waterkant area would probably suit you well - there are lots of restaurants and shops withing safe and easy walking distance and the Waterfront is only a short cab ride away. Alternatively Green Point, Tamboerskloof,Oranjezicht would also be convenient.

Unfortuantely, this is peak time for rates so prices will be at their highest and some places may require minimum stays.

You have the option of hotels, B&Bs and self catering apartments.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay in Cape Town for food?

We stayed in Oranjezicht twice, the last time at 79 on Orange which was an easy walk to several good local restaurants. A taxi ride to the Waterfront was very inexpensive and we liked the peace of the area. I can't pretend to be an expert like macsym only having visited CT twice but can't wait to go again and would still stay in the same area.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay in Cape Town for food?

Hi

My wife and I went to CT a couple of years back and we stayed at Mandela Rhodes Place in the city bowl and there are lots of restaurants to choose from and we just walked to the various restaurants each night. I have a trip report that I can share with you if you are interested. Send me an e-mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you :-)

Regards

Gard

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay in Cape Town for food?

Are you talking about arriving Xmas Day 2010 or as you said next year meaning 2011. If its what you said thats 19 months away. Things will have changed by then.

5. Re: What area to stay in Cape Town for food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2010, 05:17