We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capetown Sept/Oct

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
CT
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Capetown Sept/Oct

We are planning to visit our son who is studying in Capetown in late Sept early Oct. and plan to stay between 10 days and 2 weeks. We would like to include a safari and would appreciate help with an itinerary. There seems to be so much to do and see I am feeling overwhelmed!

Cape Xtreme
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capetown Sept/Oct

You can't really do a "proper" Big 5 safari in Cape Town. A better option would be to look at flying into Jo'burg and out of Cape Town (or vice versa) and doing the safari at either the start or end of your holiday.

If you fly into Jo'burg, you would then have to consider which game reserve to go to. Pilanesburg (next to Sun City) is closest and has a mix of accomodation. Madikwe is probably next closest (about 4hrs drive from OR Tambo airport). Kruger is further but there are direct flights. Kruger (and the private concessions surrounding it) offers the most options but the one disadvantage compared to the other areas I mentioned is that it's malarial.

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capetown Sept/Oct

You could also take a flight from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (which is closer than Jo'burg) and visit the Addo National Park.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capetown Sept/Oct

A popular itinerary for that length is staying in Cape Town for 4 days, followed by a self-drive tour along the Garden route (stopping for at least 2 nights in/near Knysna) and then driving onto Addo national park or one of the private parks (eg Shamwari) for at least 2 nights. You can then fly back to Cape Town or Johannesburg straight from PE.

If you have more time, you can extend your time in Cape Town by as there are lots of day-trips you can do from there (as well as spending time with your son if he cant come with on the whole trip). Other add-ons include the winelands (1-2 nights), Hermanus (1-2 nights) and an extra night or two on the Garden route.

Edited: 07 July 2010, 10:56
CT
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capetown Sept/Oct

Thanks so much. Would you recommend Addo or Shamwani? (or should we try to do both?)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capetown Sept/Oct

Last time I went to Addo was 15 years ago and I haven't been to Shamwari so cant help you with a personal opinion. But I can explain the difference between them:

Addo is a government-run park, which means its affordable to visit - offering camping, self-catering accommodation etc. You can take your own car inside the park to do your own self-drive safari on the roads in the park. There are also opportunities to do a guided drives with a group in a safari vehicle. As its so big and you have to stay on the roads, there is no guarantee you will tick off everything you want to see (assuming you want to see the big 5).

Shamwari is a private park aimed at tourists who have limited time and want to see the big 5. This means its very expensive and involves a whole package (luxury accommodation, guided game drives daily, meals).

So choice depends on your time, budget and how desperately you want to see certain animals.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capetown Sept/Oct

Also check out the luxury camps in Addo: addoelephant.com/parks/…

I cant advise as I havent been to any of these - perhaps start a new thread on the forum asking about which one to visit?

7. Re: Capetown Sept/Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 06:16