We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
England
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

We are thinking of taking this trip in November with Jules Verne agency.

The cost is expensive so we were thinking of sticking with the Pullman suite but a comment somewhere suggests that other passengers can be noisy as the drink flows so a retreat to your own room might be best.

Is the Pullman room adequate to sit in for any length of time does anyone know?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

Surely a Pullman suite is still your own room (with its own ensuite).

Have you considered booking direct with Rovos rail - prices might be better???

http://www.rovos.com/index.html

Essex
Level Contributor
40 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

Having been fortunate enough to get upgraded, I found the extra space welcome. I did think that all the accomodations looked OK, but if you intend to spend a lot of time in your roon you may want the extra space. Its also nice to have the room when getting ready for dinner.

Enjoy your trip.

Andy

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

Have gone for the upgrade. "In for a penny, in for a pound" as they say!

Thank you for your advice.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

i have been on rovos rail five times. the pullman suite is totally adequate and just as private as a deluxe suite. both are private rooms with private shower/toilet and the door locks. most of the noise is in the lounge car at the back of the train. if you get a pullman you must specify bunk or L-shape configuration with your booking.

be aware that the cape town to victoria falls trip is actually two journeys pieced together. you spend two nights on the train then overnight in pretoria at a hotel then you change trains and spend two more nights on a different train with new crew and new passengers. it is an epic journey and one of my favorite experiences in the world. on one trip i took my wife for her 35th birthday in 2008.

agents that do a lot of business with rovos rail may be able to get you upgraded. most agents should charge the same as booking direct so you could actually save by using an agent depending on how the credit card company or the agent convert the price from rand to GBP or dollars.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

Hi,

Safari_craig, would you kindly explain whether the L Shape or Bunk in the Pullman suite is most suitable for persons wishing to sleep in twin beds.

Many thanks.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

the L-shape would be more suitable for people unable or unwilling to sleep in the top bunk above their traveling partner. You have to climb into it.

But - they are showing the non-bunk configuration as a double on their web site now so it is worth asking: http://www.rovos.com/train-pullman.html

IMO - if you have friends traveling together or children with parents then the bunks arrangement would be good for friends or kids. i put my kids in a bunk on rovos but they somehow ended up getting upgraded to a deluxe so they did not get to use it.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

8. Re: Rovos Capetown to Victoria Fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2011, 05:17