We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is April a good month to visit?

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is April a good month to visit?

We are looking into a tour in early April, 2011 which will include several days each in Cape Town, Livingstone, Johannesburg, and a safari at Thorneybush. Is this a decent time of year to visit? My main concern is with th declining hours of daylight, especially in Cape Town. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,525 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is April a good month to visit?

It's a great time for your visit. You're still 2 1/2 months from the shortest day. Temperatures are good as well in Cape Town. Here's the month of April from last year, and you can use the same page to look at any year:

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

Cape Town Central...
Destination Expert
for Camps Bay
Level Contributor
224 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is April a good month to visit?

Personally it has been my favourite month in Cape Town over the past few years. You can be unlucky with weather, but generally speaking it is warm days with cooler nights, and very little rain or wind, although you can get the occasional summer day (30 degrees Celcius plus) or winter day (18 degrees and raining) thrown in.

The accommodation prices generally also come down quickly after Easter, so you should be able to find excellent deals on accommodation.

Richard Marshall

Nox Rentals

Luxury Vacation Rentals in Cape Town

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is April a good month to visit?

I agree with the above ... April is a lovely time to visit Cape Town, plus you will miss the rainy and incredibly hot period in Thornybush (which tend to be January / February and into early March). AND if this isn't enough, you will be at Livingstone when the Falls are at their most spectacular - which is around March / April time, when the Zambezi River is at its annual peak flooding time.

All in all ... a good time to visit !!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is April a good month to visit?

As stated above, it might be the best month to come! Great time for safari, sightseeing, etc. Beach weather isn't guaranteed but the sun still comes out often enough to enjoy it. Both the north and south have relatively little rainfall which is good. And TravelButler's advise on Livingstone is spot on. Enjoy it!

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is April a good month to visit?

Hi Jeem,

Yes April is a great time to vist, I have been twice in April and have just arranged a third visit for next April. The weather has been warm to hot and has been good for the beach. You should try Camps Bay beach and stay for the wonderful sunsets. The hotel prices are also significantly lower in Capetown, not sure about Thornybush though.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is April a good month to visit?

But, as said above, please take into account Cape Town has an entirely different climate than the rest of the country.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is April a good month to visit?

Ditto, April is a fab time to visit Capetown.

My Trip Reports which may also help you.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1167-My_Trip_R…

EM.

8. Re: Is April a good month to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 05:17