We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in CT and SA

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
safety in CT and SA

Hello,

it will be my first in the country, we are coming with a organized group of tourist for 9 days.

I want to know how safe is to walk around in the city after we arrive in the hotel.

I"m a 48 year old man,

Thanks,

cape town
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in CT and SA

It is safe to walk around in the city during the day. After dark the inner city can get very quiet and it is not so safe to stroll around.

Upper Long street or The Waterkant are areas to visit at night they are safe with security cameras and guards, it is preferable to get a cab there.

The Waterfront area is also safe - day and night, depending on where in the city area your hotel is it advisable to catch a cab there and back at night.( you could walk while it is light)

It all depends on where your hotel is located and what time you want to stroll around if in any doubt the concierge should be able to advise you.

As long as you are not dripping in gold or lugging an expensive camera you will be fine

Safe travels!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
901 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in CT and SA

....which means that you will have a local tourist guide, as is required in this country. Your guide should look after you quite well.....no problems.

UK
Level Contributor
347 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in CT and SA

I travelled with my mother and we walked into the city from the waterfront during the day with no problems at all, you just need to be aware as you do in any city. We also walked around the waterfront and camps bay at night with no problems but we would not have ventured into certain parts of the city at night unless is it was via cab. have great time it is a wonderful place. I am going back in April for my 4th visit.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in CT and SA

As others have said there is no problem walking anywhere in the city area during the day. No different to any UK city. Usual advice - don't flash lots of money or expensive watches, don't leave your flash mobile phone or camera on a bar or restaurant table when you go to the gents and try not to walk around looking like you've no idea what you are doing!

But at night two questions.

1. Which hotel are you staying at? There are quite a lot more areas than julz mentioned that I would consider perfectly safe, particularly for groups - where there are lots of hotels. The Kloof Street Area, a lot of Oranjezicht and Tamboeskloof. The seafront all the way through Moulie Point and Sea Point. Big areas of tourist suburbs such as Camps Bay.

2. As a "48 year old man" are you happy to walk around central Newcastle on Friday or Saturday nights? Most areas that have been mentioned would seem a little bit tame after that! I was staying with friends from the University in the Elswick Park area a year or two ago and I wouldn't have walked down town from there at night. Although, as locals they would.

As a local in Cape Town I would probably be happy walking around a lot more areas of the city at night than I would advise visitors to, when they were here for the first time.

The main thing is to do what you feel happy with. Very few of the two million or so tourists who come to Cape Town every year ever have any problems.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 22:19
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in CT and SA

yay for you! i hope you love our city, but i am sure you will, it is breath-taking ;-)

very safe during the day. just don't walk around advertising your assets, as you do get pick pockets etc, although i've never been a victim and i walk around in the city every day.

during night time i won't really walk around alone.

my two favourite restaurants in cape town is Chef Pon's Asian Kitchen (which is in the city centre) www.chefponsasiankitchen.co.za and the other one is mariner's wharf which is in the harbour in hout bay, www.marinerswharf.co.za

the former has the best eastern cuisine imaginable, and the seafood at the latter is really wonderful. it truly has the best prawns in cape town and we go there again and again.

enjoy your trip!!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in CT and SA

I (42 year old male) felt reasonably safe at night but would not have wandered away from the main road. The biggest difference that I noticed was that the streets were a lot quieter and darker than at home at night, even as early as 10.30, which makes you more aware of your surroundings.

There are parts of Southend and London I would be happy walking alone at 10.30 but possibly not at 12.30, probably the same with Newcastle.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in CT and SA

Simsu is right. South Africa is still an "early to bed, early to rise" country. Most people are at work by 8:00am and many much earlier. When I moved to Cape Town from the UK it took me a long time to get used to friends or tradespeople ringing me at 7 in the morning and expecting me to be up and alert as a matter of course!

The converse is that most people are in bed early and, as simsu says, things are getting pretty quiet by 10:30pm!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
95 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in CT and SA

Capensis since when is a local tourist guide required in this country? Quite a misleading statement although I wish it was true as I would then be very busy!

Brian Aldridge, proprietor Camissa Cape Tours and Safaris www.capetowntours.com

9. Re: safety in CT and SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 06:27