We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

Please can someone tell me how long it will take to drive from Cape Town (Bantry Bay) to Hermanus and what is the best route?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
252 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

It is 90km and using the N2 from cape town it would take between 11/2- 2 hours

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

Hi Traveller from UK

It is just over 120km and takes just under 2 hrs if you maintain your speed and 2 hrs if you get behind traffic on the N2. it ios about 15km longer via Bettys Bay, but it is a bit more scenic along the coast this road is a bit more windy so it will take an extra 30 min.

Both routes are scenic but I prefer the coastal route.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

Definately second the coastal route. Bit longer but beautiful and if you have the time and/or inclination there is a penguin colony at Stoney Point (Betty's Bay) and about 1 km further along the main road is the Harold Porter Botanical Gardens.

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

To drive from BB to Hermanus is 125km along the N2 and with normal traffic conditions in Cape Town outside of rush hour will probably take about 2 hours - I am assuming the roadworks around Somerset West have now finished.

To take the more scenic route via Betty's Bay is 141km and will take about 30 mins more - It would make a nice round trip to do it this way

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

We took the costal route and it was beautiful. I would really really recomend stopping off at Betty's Bay to see the Penguins. It was so quiet hardly anyone else there and hundreds of Penguins, the boardwalks get you so close to them both on land and when they are in the water.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

Thanks for all your help.

7. Re: Driveing from Cape Town to Hermanus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central