We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
houston
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
Save Topic
Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

We're two adults travelling to CT in march 2011...When I'm looking in Sanbona website the lodges r coming up really expensive...Please any suggestion how I can find cheaper rate...or any other lodges nearby cheaper to stay?...

Thanks.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

Yes I believe Sanbona is very expensive. Google accommodation Montague, Western Cape or Barrydale, Western Cape as I think these are the closest towns. Sorry - just see you had no reply - someone may have a better suggestion than me. There are lots of good guesthouses most definitely in Montague and possibly Barrydale as well. Try Capestay website also

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

I agree with the above - Sanbona is expensive, and unfortunately March is still their high season rates, so you have this to factor into it too.

If you want to stay in that area, then Montagu would be your best bet but there aren't really any other nature reserves that you could look at

If it is the nature reserve experience you are looking for, you could also try somewhere in the Cederberg - also about a 2-3 hour drive from Cape Town, but northwards instead of east'ish ...for example somewhere like Kagga Kamma, which will be slightly less expensive.

houston
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

Any suggestions if we have 2 and 1/2 days to spend for safari where else we can go for safari which can be cheaper than Sanbona and worth to see...Please give me suggestions....

Thanks.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

Hi again,

Your only real option is to head over to the Eastern Cape, to one of the lodges / reserves about an hour from Port Elizabeth.

Kariega Main Lodge, in the Kariega Game Reserve is good value, as is Woodbury Lodge in the Amakhala Game Reserve.

houston
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

For that do we have to go Port elizabeth and how far is that do we need to take flight for that....What do u think if we take flight for Port still it will be as expensive as we stay in Sanbona.

Thanks.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

From Cape Town, if you have the time, you can take 2-3 days to drive to the Eastern Cape, along the Garden Route, which is definately a worthwhile addition to an itinerary !

Otherwise, check out Kulula.com for very very reasonably priced flights over to PE. You can then get the lodge to come and pick you up from the airport or you could look at hiring a car for the couple of days you will be on safari - in all honesty, both costs are about the same !

You would need to do a bit of a 'cost' analysis on whether the extra costs of the flights etc would still make it cheaper ... however, I would add just one more point here.

Sanbona is NOT your traditional 'Big 5' safari experience, and they really don't want it marketed like this ... check out some of the other posts about this from a few months ago. Sanbona is much more a nature reserve with a bit of what I would call 'gentle' game viewing.

The game reserves of the Eastern Cape ARE, however, more your traditional Big 5 safari experiences, and if this is what you want then I would probably make the journey somehow - especially if this is your first time on safari ?

Tracey - Owner, Travel Butlers

Cape Town
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

Yes I agree - if you can make it to PE it will be more worthwhile for the game viewing. Although I have never been I dont think Sanbona is the best safari experience. As the other writer suggests it is more of a nature reserve with some game to see rather than the other way around.

8. Re: Sanbona Wildlife Reserve - where to stay for 2nights?...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 05:17