We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town for 9 nights

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town for 9 nights

We are due to go to Cape Town in October 2011 and are planning on spending 9 nights in cape town (with two children 9 & 11). I was wondering whether you think we have enough time to do Stellenbosch / Outsdhoorn /Knysna and back in that time or would we be better off just doing day trips from Cape Town?

I thought I'd like to show the boys the Cango Caves, Meerkat adventures and a bit of the country side whilst we enjoyed the good food and scenery.

Any advice?

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

You can easily visit Stellenbosch on a day trip - its just 45 minutes by car. However, for Outdshoorn and Knysna you would want to stay in one or other for 2/3 nights to get the benefit of that area. It's a 5/6 hour drive from Cape Town.

You can drive one way via the R62 (Outdshoorn) and the other via the N2 (Knysna)

Edited: 26 October 2010, 08:43
Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

I would drive up the coast to Knysna first, roughly 500 kilometers. From there drive back to George and take the n12 to Oudshoorn, about 110 kilometers.

If you are going to go to Oudshoorn you should stay more than 1 day as there are plenty to do apart from the Caves..eg. go ride an Ostrich, cage dive with crocodiles,.

From Oudshoorn to Cape Town stay over at the Montague hot springs, the wife might like that, and visit the Bat Cave. The cave houses around 1 million fruit bats.

Site to calculate travel distances, saexplorer.co.za/south-africa/…

Site for Oudshoorn http://www.oudtshoorn.com/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

Thanks for the recommendations. Both suggestions are great and it doesn't seem like we are trying to fit too much in. Now to decide on where to stay and what to see....

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

Maybe 5 nights Cape Town, 1 night Stellenbosch, 1 night Oudtshoorn and 2 nights Knysna. Not necessarily in that order!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

Generally I agree with the others that it is possible. However I am not sure about 2 nights October in Knysna with two kids that age?

October can be mixed along the coast as lamlee has just reported.

At this time of year flexibility is good and, if you travel inland, the weather is normally more settled. My suggestion would be 6 nights in Cape Town fitting in day trips to the winelands, around the penininsula and possibly up the West Coast, as and when the weather is best.

I would base yourself in an apartment - or even better a cottage with a garden and swimming pool - for this time. Look at places like Hout Bay or the Southern Suburbs. This would give the kids a chance to spread out and get outside to play and get out of your hair. We have relatives with kids who were exactly this age, the last time they came in October last year, and this sort of plan fitted perfectly. I remember that I gave you suggestions of specific places to stay in an earlier thread you posted.

Then head off along the Route 62 - a leisurely day's drive to Oudtshoorn with planty of time for stops. I would stay here two nights. Lots of things for the kids and yourselves to do and see in and around Oudtshoorn. Good places to look at might be the Garden Cottage at La Pension - http://www.lapension.co.za/ - or alternatively The Yot Club - http://www.gardenroute-yotclub.com/ .

I know that you were also planning to go up to the Kruger region. However it's not clear from your posts if you have organised this. If not, as an alternative to Knysn, I would look at staying somewhere like the Garden Route game Lodge. This is not a full-on Kruger safari, but kids of you age reaal love it. We have had three different groups of relatives with kids ranging from 5 to 16 and they all thought it was "brilliant"

For a single overnight, arriving early afternoon from Oudtshoorn and then leaving back to the airport the next morning, after a game drive and breakfast, this fits well as you are already on the N2 on the way back to Cape Town Airport (less than 4 hours). BTW the adults all liked it as well (including ourselves) and the food is remarkably good!

www.grgamelodge.co.za/english/index_flash.jsp

So a slightly different variation but one that would also fit well.

Edited: 26 October 2010, 12:19
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

Once again all brilliant suggestions - how did we all used to travel without these sites!

We are still going to Kruger after Cape Town so don't feel desperate to do too much game viewing around the Cape.

I will look further into your accommodation suggestions (your Cape Town accommodation suggestions were spot on) and keep refining the itinerary. Thanks again to all for your posts.

Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

Hi. We're just back from 3 weeks in South Africa - with our two kids aged 8 and 5. Here's what I'd recommend:

Base yourselves in Hout Bay - we stayed in a fabulous apartment - 27 Edward Street - spacious and very reasonably priced. If you have a car you can easily 'do' all the Cape Town activities from there. It's at the start of the Chapman's Peak Drive for access to the Cape - you could easily spend a day exploring there (Boulders Beach for the penguins, Cape Point, Simonstown...). Hout Bay itself has World of Birds which my kids loved. It's 15 mins drive from Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Table Mountain, Camps Bay for more upmarket beach - and a 20-min (ish) drive to V&A Waterfront and Cape Town city centre. We had 5 full days in Hout Bay and I would've liked a couple more.

From there you can go to Hermanus - it's about 1.5 hours' drive and is a lovely town where you'll see whales in the bay up until November - an awe-inspiring experience. Lovely coastal walks, also Fernkloof Nature Reserve and a really nice town centre. We stayed at Fernkloof Lodge - it has a self-catering apartment and a welcome second to none! Fab beach nearby - Grotto Beach - I think there are loads more beaches there but we didn't have time to explore them all.

As for Knysna - well, I didn't think it was worth the long drive to be honest - although I'm sure others will disagree. We made it as far as Plett, but in retrospect I wouldn't bother - there's so much to see and do in the Cape Town area.

One thing I would highly recommend is Botlierskop Private Game Reserve. We spent 3 nights there for my brother's wedding and it's an amazing experience. The kids absolutely loved it. They have one family tent (although it's pure luxury!) - 4-poster bed for the adults and very comfy sleeper couches for the kids. You're all in one 'room' but we survived that for 3 nights and had a ball. It's near Mossel Bay/George.

We also went to Wilderness for 4 nights. It's a quiet town but we went kayaking and did forest walks - again, the kids loved it - and there are a lot of beaches nearby. If you really wanted to see Knysna, you could do it easily from Wilderness as your base. We stayed at Wilderness Views - a self-catering home - really fab and great value.

Let me know if you need any more details! We found South Africa a very easy place to travel in with young kids and had a lovely time.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

Wow that sounds like an amazing trip - wish we had as much time to do all those things. I have been reconsidering our time out of Cape Town and was wondering whether it was really worth going to Knysna. Essentially the only reason I wanted to go was to visit the Elephant Sanctuary nearby but as it is early Oct I don't think there would be much else close by that would make the long drive worthwhile (I know there is also Birds of Eden and Monkeyland but it sounds like Hout Bay has something similar anyway)?

I still think Oudtshoorn may be interesting for the kids and I definitely want to go to a winery or two in Stellenbosh / Franschoek where the kids can run around and we can enjoy nice food and wine so may just stick to a couple of nights out this way?

I'm not sure about Hermanus (lovely as it is) because we have whales in South Australia and I don't think the kids would be enthralled. Also I used to go to Hermanus as a child (my granny lived there) and I can imagine its now completely different and I'd have all my lovely memories ruined!

I have so many things I want to show the kids in Cape Town that I think 9 days will be quickly filled. I actually grew up in CT and left when I was 12 so want to show them all the places I lived and went to school (I'm sure they will be thrilled - not!) but would also like to show them something different like Oudtshoorn.

What do you think - all advice gratefully received!

Durbanville, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

Hi,

I reckon here's what I would do.

Start your road trip in Port Elizabeth, leave early if possible, and drive to the Natures Valley area so you can do Elephant Sanctuary, Monkeyland,etc. Awesome hands on animal experiences. Easy drive and roads and scenery are great.

Then mosey through to Oudtshoorn, Cango caves, meercats are so cool, and ride an ostrich, and zoot along the R62 to Cape Town for at least 5 nights.

Do try and get up to the West Coast National Park for the wild flowers if you're here early Oct, or if its raining in CT. Great day trip, warm water in Langebaan and beaches for the kids, and the Fossil Park is always fascinating.

Safe travels.

Graham

wildguides

Ireland
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Town for 9 nights

Hi again. I didn't visit Monkeyland in Knysna but Hout Bay has something very similar - I think it's called Birdworld but I've already forgotten! We spent a very happy afternoon there - the kids loved it. There are monkeys there too which you can get very close to. We were a bit regretful that we'd travelled as far as Knysna - I would definitely spend more time in CT if I were doing it again and sounds like you know you'll have plenty to do there. Have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central