We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Capetown and Klerksdrop

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Capetown and Klerksdrop

Hi,

I am travelling to Capetown and Klerksdrop (Business) during last week of January along with my wife and 8 months old daughter. I will have to spend 3-4 days in Klerksdrop with 1-2 days available for visiting tourist areas at Klerksdrop and then visit Capetown for 3-4 days. Please help me with the following since this is my first visit to South Africa:

1. How is the weather in Jan-Feb?

2. Which tourist places and restaurants can we visit in these areas where we can take our daughter along with us. My wife prefers vegetarian.

3. Will I be able to get rental car with US license? How much will it cost for automatic? Will I have to take additional insurance?

4. Any specific areas to avoid because of crime while staying in Capetown or Klerksdrop.

Thanks.

Jerseyguy

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Capetown and Klerksdrop

couplenj, Klerksdorp is in no way a regular tourism town. It is in a declining gold mining area with many closed mines and closing mines in the district (Stilfontein and Orkney in particular). You should find comfortable accommodation in a guest house or the local Protea Hotel. There are steak house chain restaurants in the town - you will soon realise it is not the sort of town that has too many vegetarians - and no chance of a vegetarian restaurant. Perhaps you should consider self catering - or at least let you guest house or hotel know in advance. You will need your own transport. Crime should not be particular problem, but take local advice.

For tourist experiences in the vicinity I'd suggest the Vredefort Dome area on the Vaal river - the town of Vredefort is 1.5 hours drive away with the town of Parys a little further on. There are many game reserves and farms in the Dome with a nascent tourism industry. The Vredefort Dome is a Unesco World Heritage Site.

Basically you have struck out with Klerksdorp as a destination I'm afraid.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Capetown and Klerksdrop

I think you mean Klerksdorp? If so its a small town about 100 miles from Johannesburg. Its in the middle of summer in the middle of nowhere.

You can rent an automatic with a US License. Look at Kayak, Expedia etc. You probably know that they drive on the other side so it takes some getting used to especially when making right turns.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Capetown and Klerksdrop

This might help www.klerksdorp.co.za , but maybe not.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Capetown and Klerksdrop

Thank you all for your reply. Yes, I was refering to Klerksdorp and I have to be there for at least 3 days. I guess there is nothing much I can do in Klerksdorp area so I will try to make most of my trip to Capetown. Do you know if there is any safari or tour near to Klerksdorp?

5. Re: Trip to Capetown and Klerksdrop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central
Recent Conversations