We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five days in Cape town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
houston
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
Save Topic
Five days in Cape town

Please let me know is my plan sounds good for how to spend 5 days in Cape?..Any suggestion most welcome...Final itinerary..We're visiting Cape Town in March me and my husband. Flight will arrive on 14th of march arrive in the morning at 11am...After airport and hotel ckin...We're planning to go for Table mountain via cable car.

15th March day 2- Drive to Simonstown, Kalkbay, Houtbay and Cape point national park to see Penguins. Drive along Chapmans peak....

16th March Day 3-Drive for Stellenbosch for wine farms.

17th March Day4- Robben Island and botanical gardens relax on Camps bay beach.

18th March Day 5- Don't know exactely Township tour, Shark cage diving....Need help anything else u can suggest worth to see I have no idea.

Thanks.

I want to see the whale in Hermanus & visit Wineland. How many nights in each place? Thanks in advance

Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Cape Town Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five days in Cape town

Your plans look fine, but remember that going up Table Mountain is weather dependent so you may have to be flexible on that. Save some time for exploring the city - museums, Companys Garden, Bo Kaap, de Waterkant etc. V&A Waterfront.

You will not see whales in Hermanus in March.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five days in Cape town

Itinerary looks really good but i would do a township tour followed by Robben Island on the same day. If you do Robben Island followed by the Gardens you won't find any time for lazing around on the beach. The gardens are amazing. Do the Gardens on a separate day (you can get picnic lunches to eat in the gardens) and then have the afternoon to relax.

houston
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Five days in Cape town

Ok if we do on the 17th Robben island & township tour together, can we that together?....Then what we can do on the 18th Botanical gardens and what else we can include in there for the 18th?....

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five days in Cape town

I'd do the township Tour and Robben Island on the same day and then on the following day do the Gardens with lunch and then have half a day relaxing on the beach at Camps Bay.

We have only been twice to Cape Town but my husband lived in South Africa for 9 years in the 60's.

I don't think yiou need to do any more on your trip - take a bit of time to relax.

houston
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Five days in Cape town

Thank a lot for ur response.....

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,356 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Five days in Cape town

I think the whales are only in Hermanus in the Autumn...September, October and November, not in the Spring.

South Africa
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Five days in Cape town

Hi Bind23

That itinerary of yours looks perfect, with the provisos mentioned earlier.

A word about Robben Island and townships. You need to have at least a vague interest in the politics and socio-economic history and contemporary context of South Africa to make these trips worthwhile. A lot of our guests find Robben Island very disappointing, but then again, they aren't really too fussed about the makings of modern day RSA or how important the place is to our and world history. Some guests are of the opinion that once you've seen Alcatraz, you've seen Robben Island. We would completely disagree but it's not pretty and it's not 'fun', if you know what we mean. It's a former penal colony and much like you don't go to visit Auschwitz for a laugh, you don't go to Robben Island for a cocktail. Hope this helps!

The townships need careful consideration too. There are way too many 'guides' out there who to be honest know little about the places they take you to. Many don't even live in the areas they purport to know so much about and this is a problem, if you want a decent tour. You end up getting a sort of vague 'shopping trip' of places (a school, a church, a craft workshop) and then you go home having had a nice day out but still not very well informed. We'd recommend using company called Camissa who offer tours with a bit of truth behind them. You won't get a Potemkin village experience from them but the real story. But this might not be what you are looking for!

About the winelands and the peninsula: on our website, we've got a self drive tour of each of these, complete with maps. You could either use these for suggestions of where your guide should take you or use them to drive yourselves. They're of course free. Just let us know if you'd like the web address.

Phil and Liz

Berne
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Five days in Cape town

How do I get to your web site to see the self drive tour. My ID is govt541

Edited: 27 November 2010, 14:48
Berne
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Five days in Cape town

How do I get to your web site to see the self drive tour

cape town
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Five days in Cape town

@Bind 23

if you need to do something extra on the day you visit Kirstenbosch - a visit to the wine estates in Constantia - they are only a few kms away. Maybe another days Winelands adventure on your final day - there is Franschoek as well or just relax on one of our beaches.Camps bay is great but Clifton is more sheltered if there is wind.

Not a great time for sharks and our whale season is winter/spring.

If you are lucky enough to have a wind free day when you arrive Table mountain will work otherwise do it on another MORNING (the wind always picks up in the afternoon)