We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money in Cape Town

In cooperation with: Cape Town Tourism
Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending money in Cape Town

Hi, Going to be holidaying in CT for a week at the end of Dec. About how much should I budget to spend per person per day on meals? We'll get breakfast at our guesthouse, so I need to spend for lunch and dinner, but w/o wine, just an average filling meal. Nothing fancy.

Mzansi
££ - £££, African
Reverie Social Table
££££, European, International
Chefs Warehouse
££ - £££, Mediterranean, European
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

Have a look at the menus on these sites. They will give you some idea. Portions in south Africa tend to be large and it is not necessary to have a starter, unless you are hungry.

Fish and Sushi

www.oceanbasket.co.za

www.ctfm.co.za

www.johndorys.co.za

Pizza and Pasta

www.panarottis.co.za

www.stelmos.co.za

Other

www.spur.co.za

www.adegas.co.za

Take aways and quicker eats

www.nandos.co.za

www.steers.co.za

Mentioned in this post
The Africa Cafe' Restaurant
The Africa Cafe...
850 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

Lamlee - those are really "EL CHEEPOS" THAT you have listed - each and everyone and none of them are imo really worth while except some ocean baskets. Sunny in answer to your question "how long is a piece of string" - it really depends on where you want to go, what type of food you want to eat , etc. Lamlee has given you the real CHEAP restaurants. For better food and slightly more upmarket look at "Millers Thumb" "Baia" - which is very upmarket, "Bayside" - which is between the El CHEEPOS and upmarket, "Beluga" "Wakame" etc. It also depends where you are staying as well so its difficult to say but ball park for dinner between R60-R600 p.p depending on whether youre having a hamburger and chips or a lobster thermidor. Lunch between R35-R300 depending on whether youre having scrambled eggs or Prawns!

Mentioned in this post
Miller's Thumb
Miller's Thumb
1,911 Reviews
Baia
Baia
2,593 Reviews
Beluga Restaurant
Beluga Restaurant
2,176 Reviews
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

Diva, SunnySL asked for 'Nothing fancy'. I gave him/her 'Nothing fancy'.

Not everyone wants Lobster Thermidor on holiday.

Edited: 09 December 2010, 05:10
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

There are a lot of menus for the restaurants that Diva recommended on the following website.

www.dining-out.co.za

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

Exactly rthats why I gave thew whole rangw of orices

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

Hi SunnySL

Diva is right, Cape Town has the whole spectrum of restaurants , and you may be surprised at the good value of even some of the more expensive, upmarket ones and you aren't wanting wine, which adds to the bill. For best value, stay away from the waterfront. You may find you don't need lunch, as your guest house will probably offer you fruit / yoghurt and a cooked option.

However, you should be able to get a decent 2 course meal without wine for R150 - 200

Do have a look at the eatout website and some of the restaurant's own websites. This will give you a much better idea of price and where you might want to eat. You are in Cape Town during peak holiday season, so you will probably need to book restaurants for dinner

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

Gosh this is no good posting these messages from my Blackberry! I think people are going to start thinking I am drinking - my spelling - yikes sorry about all that - I think I must wait until I am in front of my PC. But SunnySL as LisaPlaces says even upmarket restaurants will seem "not fancy " to you coming from overseas.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

Many many thanks to all of you for those helpful replies! I think we'd like a bit of cheap and a bit of fancy so the webites will help. Thanks guys.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

so Sunny - how was your trip and where did you eat.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money in Cape Town

It was amazing!!! I loved Cape Town. Was a bit surprised by the weather-but having said that I come from Sri Lanka where its hot and sunny all year around so anything less would have seemed cold and rainy to me.

Found a string of cheap places just by the main rd in Greenpoint where we were staying so that worked out fine. Can't remember all the names -Italian place called Mario's I think, a Thai place the name of which i just can't remember and a burger place. So we were sorted for dinners. Had lunch where ever we happened to be on the day-at the Waterfront and in Stellenbosche.

All in all it was a once in a life time kind of trip.

Thanks for all your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa